The Hartford

www.thehartford.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

Too Many "Business Models" & Fluff, Not Enough Substance

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great remote working capabilities, flexible work schedules & telecommuting culture.

Cons

It all looks good on paper but nothing ever gets fully implemented before the next "New" model is rolled out negating the previous model.

719 Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford (View Most Recent)

Conservative culture now fully driven by "metrics"

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Open communication - Front line managers (are supposed to) meet monthly with their direct reports.

OK benefits - Able to purchase 1 extra week of PTO per year. Their health insurance plan isn't the greatest. Benefits available the first day at work.

Remote Work - Allowing a lot more employees to work 100% remotely from home.

Cons

Relationships with customers and brokers now devalued by emphasis on grinding out sales and meeting metrics. Metrics rule nearly every decision.

Probably the most conservative insurance company in the already conservative insurance industry.

Constant reorganizations and upper management driven plans to improve processes, etc. It eventually becomes a fugue of B School speak with little substance...as if executives' purpose is to enact master plans that counteract and reverse course every five years.

Waves of foreign outsourcing that competitors are using against The Hartford in attempts to win business.

A lot of talk about employee development but little money or action applied to it.

Customer Service Representative - Auto Insurance

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate - AARP Auto
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate - AARP Auto

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was ok. Some managers are helpful. Team meetings.

Cons

Considering the fact that this is a for-profit company that deals with insurance, I guess this company is ok, but it did not work well with me. If you are a person that have high moral values and is sensitive to human nature, do not work here. You get punished for taking longer than 7 minutes per call, regardless of the difficulty of the call. There program is from 1972, and you have to adjust to it, PERIOD! You will have to take care of 60-80 customers per day! They will call you to solve their problems, and here you will find two types of customers: the one that wants to cry out their problems and the one that wants to kill you. Very little possitive calls per week. After working with AARP customers, my concept of retirement changed. I would receive calls all day about how the customer can't pay the increased premium because their spouse just died and they now have a reduced income. Or trying to explain why adding their son to the policy who uses the car only to take the customer to the hospital for their cancer treatments increased the policy by $2000. The Hartford broke me, I am actually a different person now. I constantly feel sad and worried of becoming old. I started to have chest pains, I started to have problems sleeping. So if you are one of those kind hearted people, DO NOT WORK HERE!

There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford