There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

11 Years

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster  in  Los Angeles, CA
Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Steady pay, small raises, better bonuses.

Cons

Inconsistent mgmt. Extreme turnover. No trust of any kind for staff.

Go back to the basics of adjusting and stop the gimmicks.

567 Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford (View Most Recent)

Decent benefits, but pathetic salaries

Current Employee - Operations Manager  in  Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at The Hartford full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

PTO is generous compared to similar firms and medical/dental benefits are decent. 401k program only offers Hartford mutual funds, which are pathetic; one of few companies left offering a pension on top of 401k, which is nice.

Cons

Salaries are extremely low and not competitive. Hartford chooses to map salaries for jobs to other companies in the industry (which is normal), but does an "apples to oranges" comparison and doesn't appear to reach outside of the insurance sector to compare jobs and duties appropriately when mapping salaries. Also, depending upon what part of the company you work for, employees may or may not have the lattitude to make simple decisions without extensive consultation with management. I don't have this problem, but people who work in different divisions of the company from me do.

Figure out what it is you want this company to be and then empower the employees at all levels to achieve those results. Additionally, see my "cons" as I'm not the only person who shares these thoughts.

Excellent people and culture though company is plagued by a tough financial climate

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Hartford was a great place to start a career. There is a ton of work to be done and experiences to be had. Everyone I had the privilege to work with was genuine and committed to the company. The Hartford puts huge emphasis on giving back to the community, which is a very admirable trait.

Cons

The hierarchy and structure make it difficult to drive innovative solutions. The technological infrastructure is a big obstacle, as it probably is with many other large traditional companies that try to compete with young, agile tech companies for a positive digital experience.

Give people the flexibility and tools to work virtually so that top talent can be found from different ares of the country. The greater Hartford area has a limited pool of talent.

There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

Worked for The Hartford? Contribute to the Community!