The Hartford

www.thehartford.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

I had a very positive experience during my employment with The Hartford from 2003-2008. Great boss, wonderful team.

Former Employee - Career Advisor in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Career Advisor in Hartford, CT

I worked at The Hartford part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Healthy, buoyant culture. Very professional but relaxed work environment. Many people I met and worked with spent many, many years at The Hartford and developed close working relationships. I was blessed with an excellent manager (a respected HR leader with high integrity and a superb leadership and mentoring style.) Professional development is a high priority at The Hartford. I remain in touch with a number of Hartford colleagues many years later.

Cons

Honestly, my near 5 year tenure at The Hartford was a consistently positive experience.

721 Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford (View Most Recent)

How to turn a good company into one where everyone now wants "out"!

Current Employee - Director in Simsbury, CT
    Current Employee - Director in Simsbury, CT

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pre 2009: Great company, great employees.
    Post 2009: Penny pinching, scared employees

Cons

The following may seem too personal, but I just want to describe to prospective employees what they will experience. Therefore, I believe this review is entirely relevant, especially what you will read at the end.

I am a retiree of the HIG. The current climate is much different since Liam McGee took over as president 4 years ago. He has sold off business units, laid off thousands of employees, and employees are always looking over their shoulders. I keep in touch with my former colleagues, and virtually all of them describe a "gloom and doom" atmosphere. The Hartford was a TARP company who received a substantial amount of money because of bad investments. Stock price (Which I help in my 401k) went from $106 to $3.33 in less than two months. I was one of the lucky ones who got out with losing just half my savings). Apparently, Mr McGee, a former banker, believes that almost all of their businesses could be run as transactions. This changed HIG's style from a company who used to give well thought-out advice to their customers to something a company that measured everything to the nanosecond. Believe me, NO employers were ever aware we were in financial trouble before the day it was announced. And no one thought the pain would be as tortuous. The problem was the way management implemented changes. There was virtually no communication to the ees about what was going to happen, until after it happened. Smart people being escorted out, Managers changed. It was completely heartless, much more than necessary. The morale of those left behind had degraded rapidly over what they saw, and to this day, there isn't a person there who isnt afraid of that tap on the shoulder. Here's one example: In the group department where I worked, THE HIG had just hired approximately 30 new sales trainees, half right out of college, half who left their old company to work for The HIG. Then, one day, a few months into their training period, they were all let go. I am sure that these people were shocked as many of them no doubt had turned down other offers before they started at HIG. The entire company, 99% of whom hadn't even met these people were aghast. It was just WRONG, and it turned out that that just set the stage for axes to start falling everywhere.

As all stock held companies say, those stockholders were "owners" of the company. The other two areas of interest for most publicly traded companies, were "our customers", and only after them them, your own employees. Hartford looked at the stockholders ONLY, and did hatchet jobs on many of their long-time customers and sacked 10,000+ employees. Management really doesn't understand how this affects people and the quality of their work. Or maybe they do know - and didn't care. I worked there for 20 years and my memories are great. To see the battlefield destruction of what the new management left behind is so disheartened, even for someone like me who doesn't work there anymore. You were SO great, but now you're just an uncaring beast. No employee or client should ever, EVER, be treated the way you did. Liam, I don't know of a single employee, from the ranks to the upper management, who thinks you know what the heck you're doing. Confidence in you: None.

I do realize thats thats the way of the world now, but for Christ sake, do it with class, and make sure those left behind feel wanted.

Claims Adjuster

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

you get a lot of assistance from managment

Cons

the compensation could be better

none