The Hartford

There are newer employer reviews for The Hartford

Toxic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, MN

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The vacation benefit is incredible, you will never get a vacation package like you do with the HIG. But how much are you willing to sacrifice for a few extra weeks off of work?

Cons

Everything else. Management is simply ridiculous; they consistently do exactly the opposite of what they say and/or promote. For example, HR talks about the importance of inclusion and team spirit but then turns around and dismembers the employee club and rewards/recognition program. They do not protect or value their employees and are very, very quick to throw people under the bus to make themselves look better. And when all an employee has to look forward to at the end of the week is "Casual Friday", that is suddenly taken away as well. If you have the opportunity to work anywhere else, anywhere at all, I suggest you take that opportunity.

1. Respect your employees - trust them to be adults and you will be surprised at the choices they make.
2. Stand behind your words - get involved and try to actually be empathetic to your employees, they know when you're being fake and just phoning it in.
3. Get over yourselves - you are not as amazing as you think you are.

668 Other Employee Reviews for The Hartford (View Most Recent)

IT Worker - Company should be a 5

Current Employee - IT Consultant in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - IT Consultant in Remote, OR

I have been working at The Hartford full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have been with The Hartford for more than 10 years you get at least a month off and you can also buy a week. They have a good benefits package, for example, they will pay for your education and will match 401K up to 6%. You also receive a year-end bonus and that's a really nice perk.. The company is large so you are not forced to be the leader.

Cons

Managers are very dry eyed and typically have backgrounds/majors in something very foreign like Chemistry or Theater Arts. Very weird, especially when there are millions of Americans that are looking for work and have suitable backgrounds that would fit certain positions. For example, our ex-CEO Ramani Ayers was a Chemistry major and our current CEO Liam is a failed banker from the 2008 disaster; keep in mind this is an insurance company. There are also a ton of workers that lack education and are working in upper tier positions. They started out in the mailroom and worked their way up.. I don't mean to sound smug but I'm sure our company shareholders want the brightest people working in the upper tier positions. I once had a manager that had a high school education and loved to brag about how doing anything more was a waste of time.. Most of these people are very difficult to work with because they are there working the typical 9 to 5 and have no desire to better themselves. They put no effort or time in showing that they have a desire to work at the position they are in. Having such a mix of people makes a toxic environment of people who care and people who are just working the 9 to 5.

I've been with this company for more than 10 years and have seen the most laziest people advance either by complaining that they do not want to do their particular position anymore or by being a good friend to the manager. If you are a bud to the manager then you have a good chance of getting all the key project work and/or being promoted. You can sell the most policies or have the highest numbers and it really doesn't matter. The old fashion way of working hard to advance will not happen.. It's the classic case of "it's not what you know, it's who you know." The Hartford is also manager top heavy and this causes someone to be constantly looking over your shoulder. Also, my department's AVP has such a high horse he/she could be bothered to say hello to any of the lower tier workers when they see them at lunch or in the hallways. I know he/she does not owe anybody anything but if you are an AVP, I think it would be nice to say hello to the people that are making it happen and keeping the company a-float. It makes low tier coworkers feel unappreciated. But in all, it boils down to what position you are in.. If you are working on the business end and doing speculative work then you would have it better then someone taking 60 calls a day doing sales or working the customer service help desk.

Get rid of all the speculative positions like customer retention or some unnecessary advertising positions. Bulk up on the positions that are necessary. Punish managers that make the wrong move such as outsourcing the Help Desk to India which has caused misery and a large backlog on getting problems fixed so people can work. Get rid of workers that complain about the help. Cut back on management. There's a manger for every 15 employees. Focus on the numbers!!!! People that are educated and are producing top numbers need to be rewarded and recognized because this has be swept aside in more recent years. People are required to have insurance so there's always a market.

Downhill after prior leadership ran the company into the ground

I worked at The Hartford full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

A paycheck
    Good for young professionals looking to enter the workforce
    Standard time off
    Decent benefits but they are on a decline

Cons

Abusive environment, Old timers that knew the business are retiring, young professionals are inexperienced and want to be VP overnight. Upper management does not care for its people. Bad culture and environment.

Get a clue