There are newer employer reviews for The Hershey Company

More Merchandising, Less Selling

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative  in  Orange, CA
Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Orange, CA

I have been working at The Hershey Company

Pros

Great pay and benefits. Management is understanding for time needed off. Vacation increases each year. Company car and paid insurance. No office to report to. Good job out of college for first year.

Cons

Was hired as a sales rep and I do more merchandising than selling. Everything is sold in at headquarter level. There is so much sold in that you won't have a chance to sell. You have to deal with ignorant store managers that don't want anything to do with you. Your job is to get all candy that is sent in out of the back room and on to the sales floor. Seems easy right? it's not. Everyday you will fight with store managers to obtain display space so you can HELP them clean up their backrooms. At the same time you are working next to all these vendors making $10 an hour, yet you are supposed to feel professional. Did I mention all the Hershey reps need a bachelors degree? You are sweaty, you work in walmarts, and there is no brain work required.

All the account mangers can't keep up with their jobs so they are always messing up on information making you look stupid in stores with pricing errors and relative information. They each have their own agenda and think you are their slaves when in their accounts, forgetting that you only have an hour in each store.

Now for what you do at home!
After working 9 hours in the field you come home to doing an average of 1.5 hours of emails and paper work. If you are trying to get promoted you are probably doing 3 hours. They send you so many boxes of coupons, (which you have no clue what account they are for due to lack of communication), so they end up sitting in your house till they expire. They send tons of huge displays that take up half of your garage. Your car is filled to the brim with displays so you look like a pack rat while driving. you need interenet to work but they don't pay for it, you need a cell to work but don't contribute to that. They used to let you have free candy but they took that away. If you are lucky you won't have a micromanager.

Everyday I feel that I am behind, yet I'm a very hard worker. One of the top 10% in the company. You will always have Hershey on your mind when sleeping, on weekends, and on vacation. If they did not pay so well out of college, I would have been gone a long time ago.

As far as promotions go....Management plays favorites.

Let the sales reps run their territory like it should be run. You always say the sales reps are their own CEO of their territory yet you dictate when, where, and how. Get rid of the pay scale and let the best person for each job apply, you will open up more opportunity for people who don't want to move or want to pursue other jobs besides the job right above them on the pay scale. Pay for cell phones and internet. You don't pay for offices so pay for the necessities for the reps in home offices. Give half days on Fridays so we don't have 4 hours of weekend work.

156 Other Employee Reviews for The Hershey Company (View Most Recent)

Great brands, OK management

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Hershey, PA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Hershey, PA

I have been working at The Hershey Company

Pros

Great brand experience. You'll get to feel strong ownership of your business and develop solid general management skill sets. Great training too.

Cons

Senior leadership is over dependent on television advertising. This limits your ability to develop as a marketer. Additionally, there is a bit of an 'ivory tower' dynamic where leadership maintains a distance from employees.

Great experience

Former Employee - Northwest Account Representative  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Northwest Account Representative in Seattle, WA

I worked at The Hershey Company

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement within the company

Cons

Too much administrative work for field staff

Streamline management so that people are more efficient

There are newer employer reviews for The Hershey Company

Worked for The Hershey Company? Contribute to the Community!