(Intern) Stagnant Opportunites / Management Issues

Current Intern - Engineer Co-Op in Hershey, PA
Current Intern - Engineer Co-Op in Hershey, PA

I have been working at The Hershey Company as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Salary
New Facility - Equipment Constantly being upgraded
Friendly Co-workers
Team Resources

Cons

Management Commitment and Knowledge (Mostly Veteran Hires w/o Experience)
Employment Opportunities - HR Disconnect from Plant
Corporate Disconnect from Plant
Stress - Demanding Environment
Excessive Mandatory Overtime
Future Outlook - Inevitable Buyout (The way it's going)

Advice to Management

Try to connect those working on 'the hill' to those working in the plant. A lot of excessive project money is thrown around without actually knowing where it is going.

Seems like Hershey lost touch of what it originally set out to be. After this recent expansion, many of the employees feel that the company will not exsist in 50 years. Poorly designed 'Next Century Project'. J.P. made his career selling water so you get the sense of where Hershey is going..

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Discriminatory----White males need not apply

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at The Hershey Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Company car
    -Independence (field sales)
    -Somewhat decent starting salary
    -Benefits

Cons

-Poor, poor sales management from District Sales on up.
    -Female dominated sales management culture that (surprise!) only likes to hire young females right out of college for Retail Sales Rep roles. Recently saw a new RSR hired on whose only job experience had been selling clothes at the mall.
    -Discriminatory promotion of female sales reps over men. Take a look at linkedin and you'll see what I mean.
    -Have been flat out told by management that the company will hire an underperforming female over a male because it "makes us look more diverse".

Advice to Management

Keep it up....You're looking at a class action lawsuit and you know exactly what I'm talking about. Reverse discrimination is ugly and a group of us have the stats on who you are promoting and hiring. I have sat in on interviews with experienced CPG sales professionals that are getting beat out by young, just out of college females with no sales inclinations whatsoever. Also, I'm seeing nothing but those same women getting promoted over better performing male colleagues. C'mon.

Loved working with my accounts but not with management

Former Employee - RSR in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - RSR in Denver, CO

I worked at The Hershey Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and company car. Enjoyed working with most of my accounts. All the candy you could ever want.

Cons

Continual changing of direction and culture. Major issues from entire team with DM with very little response from upper management. Very high turnover in the district and low morale didn't prompt change; however, numbers finally grabbed the attention of the office and that prompted change. Too little, too late. Many quality representatives had already either left the company or were fired for various bogus reasons.

Advice to Management

Work on developing a positive corporate culture because the one that exists just stinks. The field sales team is an integral part of the organization and morale just keeps getting lower and lower. Something must be done to turn this around.