Hihland Council

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

Pros

It has been steady employment with a secure wage and benefits. It is possible to get ahead it you keep your head down and moth closed.

Cons

Very little praise for good work, no allowance for individual creativity, no bonus or overtime, poor demotivated middle management and distant disengaged senior management.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know staff, be aware of the stresses of the job and make allowances. Remember you need to be fair to employees not just council tax payers.

Other Employee Reviews for The Highland Council

1. Pupil Support Assistant 1Early Years Practitioner 1 (unqualified)Clerical Assistant 2 schools

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laggan, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Laggan, Scotland (UK)

Pros

i worked as clerical assistant at a Primary School for 4 years, and sadly, for many personal reasons had to give in my notice. Since then, the Highland Council have been amazing, continued to support me, and kept me on a contract. Because of this, i am now able to cover sickness, and take up temporary work locally. This has enabled me to cover clerical assistant at level 2, early years practioner, and pupil support at level 1. i spent 15 years in England working as a primary school teacher and love working with children. My priority now is my own child, and to have a contract which enables me to stay in the working world, but with such flexibility, is something which is very special. i didn't ask for it - it was offered to me!

Cons

As a clerical assistant, i often felt a bit isolated, and unimportant, and there didn't seem to be the same opportunities available regarding CPD etc. as there were for other staff at the school. In England a clerical assistant was called the 'School Secretary', and had far more status than they have here. Sadly status is reflected in pay!

Advice to Management

i have a line manager, but I'm not sure who it is. i'd quite like to do the 'Child Protection' training?

2. Review of the Highland Council as an employer

Current Employee - Social Worker in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at The Highland Council full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great place to work, good team mates, constant coaching, guidance and full support from managers, flexible working hours, good investment in IT and technologies, good opportunity for career development, good investment on training and human resource development.

Cons

Too cold in terms of weather, client groups scattered in geographically large and widespread area, has to travel a lot to provide services to the clients in a long narrow road which are especially hard to drive during winter as they might not be treated. Inverness Airport has very few links to other cities of the UK and Europe making you isolated from rest of the world.

Advice to Management

There should be a system of pool car system instead of hire car system. More team building exercises and more investment in training should be in place.