The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
  www.homedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

A fine place to start, but not really where you want your career

Current Employee - Customer Service in Hillsboro, OR
Current Employee - Customer Service in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

-Comfortable environment w/ fellow employees
-Good customers, as far as retail goes
-Management is held accountable for their mistakes (sometimes)
-Great experience working with the products you sell

Cons

-Hours are way too spread out (6 AM-10 PM)
-Bad coverage when you need help
-A retail environment is always draining when dealing with difficult customers
-Pay starts very low and increases very slowly
-Communication between management and employees is pretty bad

Pay attention to what your employees are saying about coverage (breaks, backup, and in general)! Making a customer wait ten minutes to get help is going to lose a lot more money in the long run than having a few extra people around to get the job done.

5499 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Not bad for the industry, but steadily declining

Current Employee - Garden Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Garden Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Home Depot still offers such benefits as paid sick time, paid vacation, and health insurance. Opportunities to move up exist, though are limited. Pay for longtime associates is above industry standard. Schedules are somewhat flexible for students.

Cons

The last few years have seen steady declines in health benefit choices, schedule flexibility, starting pay, the size of annual wage increases, opportunities to move from part time to full time, and advancement opportunities, while job responsibilities and accountability for hourly employees continue to increase every year. Recent implementation of a new computer-based scheduling system has been used as an excuse to end flexibility in scheduling for full time associates in many stores, regardless of family obligations that have always been respected in the past. Planned implementation of a new "zone" system for associate placement instead of the current department system threatens to obliterate associate expertise in their assigned specialty and destroy customer confidence. Associates will be expected to know several departments instead of specializing in one or two, causing a "jack of all trades, master of none" effect. Associates will be spread too thin and will be unable to gain enough knowledge about any one department to effectively offer customers useful advice. I believe this will be a disastrous move for the company, will severely effect working conditions and morale among employees, and result in a rapid decline in customer satisfaction. As a customer-facing associate, I feel it is an ill-advised and potentially catastrophic move, and that this is not a good time to join this company if other options are available.

As a longtime associate, I have seen rapid decrease in morale as we move away from those oft-quoted but rarely practiced core values. Family obligations of full time associates are no longer respected by the ASDS or store manager (at least in my store), associates are being spread too thin as we are expected to cover more departments and train outside of our specialties, and new hires are frustrated by the lack of orientation before being thrown to the wolves. The new associate coaching system is a nice enhancement to, but a poor replacement for, the complete new hire orientation that once existed. We are being forced to choose between driving sales and serving customers (which has ALWAYS been the highest priority), and training, and are being punished for not completing extensive, time-consuming PK books for departments we don't even want to work in, when doing so would take us off the sales floor for long periods of time and leave our departments insufficiently covered. If you don't want unions to move in, stop talking about how bad unions are and start treating associates as if they are truly valued again. We are not stupid, most of us treat those anti-union videos as the blatant, insulting brainwashing attempt that they are, and we are fully aware that unions could return the working conditions, benefits, respect, and pay that we once enjoyed. It is in your own best interests to attempt to return to these values instead of chipping away at them and trying clumsily to put a positive spin on the decidedly negative changes being carefully introduced over the course of several years. Stop pointing out how lucky we are to have jobs, and how awesome the rather uninspiring success sharing program is, and make us WANT to stay. Return the emphasis to retaining and rewarding good, committed full time associates with respect, flexibility, and living wages, instead of hiring uncommitted, low-paid, short-term part time and temporary associates who will move on as soon as they find something better and will never stick around long enough to fully learn the business and attract customer loyalty with their expertise. Abandon the planned store zone system, associates who specialize in one department drive customer loyalty with their expertise; customers don't want mindless drones in an orange apron who can't offer much advice, they want experts who can help them solve the problems they can't figure out themselves. And finally, impress upon store managers and ASDS associates that the family obligations and health of their associates ARE important, and that treating us as though they are not will not be tolerated. The company managed to be considerate of full time associates' family-driven schedule availability for 30 years, and it worked pretty well for them. Allowing stores to destroy that relationship now will lead to nothing good for this company.

Bleek

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Benefits some nice people one hour lunch small bonuses pay for some education if related to your job get to wear orange

Cons

very low morale under experienc managers unfair promotions must pay for own christmas party and must have at the store usualy terible communicatin

more considerate to employees think about their personal needs dont manage a department you dont know job yourself say thanks more stop picking small stuff work on big stuff

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot