There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Good company to work for with lots of career opportunities

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst
Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

- There are many different career opportunities within the confines of the Home Depot walls. You can theoretically change careers without switching companies, within reason - The company also cares a lot about the community and it shows with the amount of passion I see in the employees whenever we have community service projects - Employees are often empowered to make their own decisions, even on the front line (in stores)

Cons

- Home Depot is a big company and therefore is natural to be slow and steady moving. There is not much of an appetite to make big changes to the way they do things - Middle-management tends to like the status quo and they seem to be there just for the job - The culture might be hard for someone new to buy into and the company is really big on that

Advice to Management

I wish middle mangers were more interested in their direct report's growth within the team. There are too many times I have seen great talent get shipped off to another department because there wasn't enough in the budget to promote the person within. This leads to lost talent, knowledge, experience, mentor, etc. Grant it, the other departments benefit from the talent, there is something to be said about growing your own group before helping others.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. The company overall is a great place to work.

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Great benefits. Some District Mgr. and DOM's are sneaky.

Cons

Reorganization is always happening, however they do offer a package if affected.

2. Great place to learn home improvement knowledge for your own good

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

These days it is tough finding a job during such a low time in our economy. I wouldn't say Home Depot is ultimately my "dream" job, I mean who really wants to work for retail? I will say that for the year that I have been with this company I have been given great pay along with benefits. When working for Home Depot you should have previous knowledge of home improvements and parts and accessories, but if this is not the case they will make sure you learn.

Cons

When working for such a large corporation it can be tough to schedule time for yourself when you have so many other employees that could conflict with your time off. Retail is really the only con to this, not Home Depot I would say.