There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Has been a good transition.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpentersville, IL
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carpentersville, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Flexible and easy most of the time.

Cons

Management expects a lot from key employees without holding under-performing employees accountable.

reviews filtered by
  1. A place of patience with opportunity for growth

Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in City of Industry, CA
    Former Employee - Hardware Sales Associate in City of Industry, CA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

the salary was competative as long as you negotiate your pay at time of hire. increases are less than steller.

Cons

The customer service experience that is preached is not exercised to its fullest potential by the employees.

Advice to Management

concentrate a bit more on the cutomer experience while also considering that it takes more employees to cover the sales floor when its full of customers.

2. Fairness, transparency, and doing right by their employees doesn't exist at the SSC.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

The pay and benefits are the only things that will keep you there. If you get lucky and get a good supervisor, they will help you keep you head above water. You're going to dislike working there so much that it will MOTIVATE you to STOP procrastinating, improve your skills, or get more schooling/training.

Cons

The fish rots from the head first. That is very true at the Home Depot SSC. The recruiters will lie to you about your schedule, development, and advancement, then when you're hired you find out just how bad they lied to you. The Director of the call center created an oppressive atmosphere filled with fear. The SSC is a Human Resource center, where the Directors, Managers, and Supervisors violate the same company policies they're supposed to support and adhere to. They have a high rate of employee churn, due to recruiters lies, horrible training, and their willingness to fire rather than develop hourly employees. If you don't already have the skills, they're not going to help you get them. It takes a long time for anything to get fixed, especially the computers and printers, because of fear and "budget". I've witnessed the Director lie to visiting corporate managers, about our computer systems that have constant problems. The elevators constantly break down, often times trapping people inside them. Some people i work with said they came from worse, so they're used to this environment. I didn't come from worse. I'm developing myself, so as to get out.

Advice to Management

Take ownership of the problems at the SSC. Work together with one voice to get IT to fix the constant computer problems. Speak with one voice about the printers constantly jamming, running out of toner, or just not working. Train and develop your direct reports, instead of just firing them.