The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

I really enjoyed working for The Home Depot. They treated me well and compensated me for extra depts. that I learned.

Former Employee - Lumber and Building Materials Sales in Leesburg, FL
Former Employee - Lumber and Building Materials Sales in Leesburg, FL

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Incentives to change work area every so often. You can become much more of a Do It Yourselfer. Recognition for your efforts. Fun place to work. Easy to get raises. You will get dirty.

Cons

Depending on the location it could be low starting pay. You will get dirty. Much more risk of getting hurt than any other type of retail.

Keep the incentives for learning new departments and the Homer Awards.

5972 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Terrible

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fellow associates and most of management are amazing individuals to work with. Knowledge of fellow associates is often in-depth and invaluable. As long as you get your work done, no one bothers you. Quite easy to get promoted from being a temp, to being permanent. It is also quite easy to go from one department to another, or to even transfer from one store to another. Fellow associates often have a genuine and deep bond with one another. I also approve of Home Depot's efforts to include Spanish-speaking associates and culture, as well as try to put on do-it-herself workshops or children's workshops. They also seem willing to donate to schools and community events upon asking.

Cons

Favoritism, nepotism, and disorganized and apathetic upper-management. Are not open to working with associates who have children, or are going to school, have associate or personal conflicts, or have medical needs. I've heard it all, and I do not hear of good support. The swing-shift schedules are within legal bounds (8 hours between shifts), but very unhealthy. Very little employee benefits (no employee discounts, ect). "Success-sharing" scheme is mostly a joke, and seems to encourage management to cut hours to meet sales goals. It is very very very difficult to get promoted to 'full-time' through hard work, knowledge, or personality. No small amount of kissing-up is required. The pay is determined during your first interview. Raises and equality of pay is completely unbalanced. Some people get paid lots to do very little, and some get paid very little and do lots. Some people will start out at more pay than people who have been working for years.

You reap what you sow.

Non caring work environment that only cares about numbers

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The only reason to work here is if u need a job and nothing else is working for you

Cons

Everything, managers, supervisors, working conditions

Hire people that care