The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com

A career I didn't expect

Operations Assistant Store Manager (OAM) (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAlmost entirely promotion from within, making a career with this company is easy if you have the drive and a willingness to learn. Appropriate compensation- competitive with other retailers. Direction and values of the company - strong cash company, makes smart financial decisions that ensure continued growth, values that will surprise you in a retailer (taking care of each other). This is no Walmart, with disgruntled employees. THD makes a point of supporting its employees, rewarding them, supporting its surrounding community, and taking pride in winning over customers. As an example, raising money to help eachother all over the company (untouched by the company), which has had hundreds of thousands of dollars of our CEOs own salary donated to help out. As a manager I can tell you that there is corporate pressure to not only invest time with all employees but to work to move people up with the company; it is an official company program.

ConsAfter THD implemented temporary hiring as a seasonal requirement it is more difficult for people to stay on with the company. Associates who stay on are people which are hand selected by their supervisors and managers as solid employees but they enter at basic wages and remain PT for typically quite some time before opportunities for FT become available. While wages are competitive, truly making enough to committ to a career with the company requires moving up to higher paying positions. However, this strategy accelerated stock prices in a home improvement retailer when the country's housing market bottomed out with the economy around 2008. As a company who attracts mostly male applicants, the company works very hard to push females (and other diverse groups) into supervisory positions and typically male dominated areas of the company; this is good and bad as high performing white males are sometimes passed over for promotions when they are comparable to a more diverse candidate. And that is coming from a white female manager. Other than that the Pros and Cons of the job are what you make of them.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs with any company or manager(s) there is room for improvement; holding hourly employees at a higher level in the company accountable at the same execution and leadership expectation should be a given; sometimes it is not.

The Home Depot Client Partner responded to this review

Jun 17, 2013

Thank you for over ten years of hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We value strong leadership skills as well.

good place but not my dream

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: They work with your school Cons: Some of the managers are meh Advice to Senior Management: some of them really don't know how to talk to… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

The good and the bad

Front End Associate (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros: Benefits available for part time associates. Relatively decent pay for a retail… Cons: VERY disorganized at the store level. Rotating door of turnover. The biggest problem is that the training is very extensive , but… Advice to Senior Management: Diversify your onboarding to include plenty of on the floor… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on The Home Depot.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!