A career I didn't expect

Current Employee - Operations Assistant Store Manager (OAM) in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Operations Assistant Store Manager (OAM) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Almost entirely promotion from within, making a career with this company is easy if you have the drive and a willingness to learn. Appropriate compensation- competitive with other retailers. Direction and values of the company - strong cash company, makes smart financial decisions that ensure continued growth, values that will surprise you in a retailer (taking care of each other). This is no Walmart, with disgruntled employees. THD makes a point of supporting its employees, rewarding them, supporting its surrounding community, and taking pride in winning over customers. As an example, raising money to help eachother all over the company (untouched by the company), which has had hundreds of thousands of dollars of our CEOs own salary donated to help out. As a manager I can tell you that there is corporate pressure to not only invest time with all employees but to work to move people up with the company; it is an official company program.

Cons

After THD implemented temporary hiring as a seasonal requirement it is more difficult for people to stay on with the company. Associates who stay on are people which are hand selected by their supervisors and managers as solid employees but they enter at basic wages and remain PT for typically quite some time before opportunities for FT become available. While wages are competitive, truly making enough to committ to a career with the company requires moving up to higher paying positions. However, this strategy accelerated stock prices in a home improvement retailer when the country's housing market bottomed out with the economy around 2008. As a company who attracts mostly male applicants, the company works very hard to push females (and other diverse groups) into supervisory positions and typically male dominated areas of the company; this is good and bad as high performing white males are sometimes passed over for promotions when they are comparable to a more diverse candidate. And that is coming from a white female manager. Other than that the Pros and Cons of the job are what you make of them.

Advice to Management

As with any company or manager(s) there is room for improvement; holding hourly employees at a higher level in the company accountable at the same execution and leadership expectation should be a given; sometimes it is not.

The Home Depot Response

Jun 17, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for over ten years of hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We value strong leadership skills as well.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

OK job, but a lot of wasted time

Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MEA is usually low stress. THD has good programs that provide aid to employees.

Cons

A lot of wasted time in waiting to use first phone. We help a lot of customers because the store isn't staffed well enough. Many store associates are indifferent toward customers. Also, I took this job part-time because I was told there is a lot of opportunity for advancement, but I don't see how, now that I've been there for a while.

Advice to Management

Beef up store associates and their attentiveness to customers. In our store many sit and point rather than walk customers to items. Customer service isn't great, gives competitors the edge. We see many customers leave because they're upset that they can't get helped by someone who knows about the department they're in. Also, store associates don't put stock in right place.

2. its alright to work in the summer more hours . but not the winter

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burtonsville, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Burtonsville, MD

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than a year)

Pros

great company to work for

Cons

long hours, not eough pay