There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

You'll earn every dollar!

Former Employee - Lot Associate  in  Williston, VT
Former Employee - Lot Associate in Williston, VT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get satisfaction helping customers who are nice and appreciate the work you do. These are the ones that generally give you a little tip (even though your not supposed to accept them).

Cons

Not having an employee discount on in-store merchandise is ridiculous. Have to assist loading items for customers who can't foresee how their large purchases won't fit in their vehicle (two bathtubs into toyota corolla for example).

The Home Depot Response

Sep 5, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, The Home Depot believes key to business is customer service and creating an environment where all associates feel their ... More

4948 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Overall amazing experience if you are willing to learn and grow

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate  in  Vienna, WV
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Vienna, WV

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to learn about business operations and how to use many of the products in the store.

Cons

Sometimes communication becomes a problem at a higher level and creates confusion between sales associates and merchandising associates.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 5, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for sharing a review. Taking care of associates is one of our core values. We continually look for ways to ensure that associates have equal access to growth and development opportunities ... More

So much stress I cried at least once a week

Former Employee - Cashier  in  Manchester, NH
    Former Employee - Cashier in Manchester, NH

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good co-workers. Had nothing to do with Home Depot.

Cons

Terrible hours, terrible pay. I was consitently promised career advancement and never given it. Managers took advantage of my "cashier" status and pay and made me work in other departments. Why do I want to run the whole paint department by myself while making $8.80 an hour when everyone else does it for $10? It didn't matter, I still did it!

I was told by another cashier I was "lazy" when I was consistently working, doing other people's jobs and being taken advantage of by management. Constant side projects for me since I am a creative individual and was I compensated for it? No. I was insulted with a $.25 yearly raise and told I needed to try express an interest in learning more -- INSULTING! Me! One of the only people who could run self-checkout alone, the paint department, the service desks, returns, my own register, and took on multiple side jobs for myself without applicable pay? How dare you.

I was consistently scheduled over college courses that I explicitly gave an availability for -- And when I asked about it, they told me my availability was never approved. Excuse me? I had been pulled into the office once by my head cashier for being 1-2 minutes late on days I had to travel across the city from college to get to work, because they refused to schedule me more than 15 minutes from when my college course ended. Nearly every day for a YEAR I woke up, went to school from 8:30 to 4, then went to work from 4:15 - 11 PM. Saturdays and Sundays I ALWAYS closed. Head cashier was two-faced, asked me for favors and acted nice to me, then turned around and called me names and gave me the shaft. Many, many times was my schedule changed without any notification and many, many times have I gotten phone calls: "Where are you?"

Or let's talk about cashiering in the garden center. No a/c in the summer, so you are out there -- alone -- standing in a tiny stuffy glass box doing transactions in your definitive Home Depot garb -- No shorts allowed! Collared shirts only! Oh and don't forget your CANVAS APRON in the 90+ degree weather. Or how about the winter? No heat in that box either! Oh or even by the main entrance doors. I specifically remember we had a couple of space heaters and our store manager took them away and threw them out because he said that we shouldn't have them and we should "dress appropriately". Or when you asked to go to the bathroom and since no one is there to watch the register besides you it takes them an hour to find someone to cover you.

Because of this, I will NEVER suggest to ANYONE to work at The Home Depot, and I will NEVER patronize them EVER again! You are a multi-million dollar corporation! I know this because you told me, then gave me a $20 profit sharing check and a measly $.25 raise for being there a YEAR and going ABOVE AND BEYOND what a cashier should do. RECOGNIZE!

Treat your employees with respect. We all talk -- We know who got the $.25 raise and who got the $.30 raise. Don't tell me you'll do something (like promote me) and then HIRE SOMEONE ELSE. Notice when someone is going above an beyond.

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!