The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com

My journey working at THD...so far very challenging!

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant  in  Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

At the home depot the employees truly adapt to the culture which consist of the value wheel. There is a genuine sense of loyalty and comradery amongst the employees (i.e, company cheer in every all hands meeting).The company tries to make the employees feel they have perks/options. At the SSC there is a daycare, fitness center, minute clinic, CVS pharmacy, and cafeteria. Another pro is all associates receive success sharing (bonus checks) twice a year if the stores do well and meet their sales objectives.

Cons

Well one of the cons is THD does not offer discounts to the product in the store to any of its employees. So far I have had 3 positions at THD, and I am noticing a serious lack of a true training format, and in some roles its really "sink or swim". In my most recent role, I had a huge learning curve and had to rely on my peers heavily because there was no structured training. I am more knowledgeable of my role now but for a minute I began to get discouraged. Another con is THD has no career plan or mentor program in place for its hourly employees. So you really have to beef up your networking skills and take the reigns into your own hands if you want to move around the company and develop your career.

In addition to knowing your role in management, it would be helpful to learn your subordinates role (or have some working knowledge) to assist with training...so that if that person quits the whole department wont crumble to pieces.. Also listen to the suggestions offered by the employees and really try to implement those suggestions given with practical sense.

Sep 19, 2013Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More