The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
  www.homedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

My journey working at THD...so far very challenging!

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the home depot the employees truly adapt to the culture which consist of the value wheel. There is a genuine sense of loyalty and comradery amongst the employees (i.e, company cheer in every all hands meeting).The company tries to make the employees feel they have perks/options. At the SSC there is a daycare, fitness center, minute clinic, CVS pharmacy, and cafeteria. Another pro is all associates receive success sharing (bonus checks) twice a year if the stores do well and meet their sales objectives.

Cons

Well one of the cons is THD does not offer discounts to the product in the store to any of its employees. So far I have had 3 positions at THD, and I am noticing a serious lack of a true training format, and in some roles its really "sink or swim". In my most recent role, I had a huge learning curve and had to rely on my peers heavily because there was no structured training. I am more knowledgeable of my role now but for a minute I began to get discouraged. Another con is THD has no career plan or mentor program in place for its hourly employees. So you really have to beef up your networking skills and take the reigns into your own hands if you want to move around the company and develop your career.

In addition to knowing your role in management, it would be helpful to learn your subordinates role (or have some working knowledge) to assist with training...so that if that person quits the whole department wont crumble to pieces.. Also listen to the suggestions offered by the employees and really try to implement those suggestions given with practical sense.

Sep 19, 2013Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

5400 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Danville, VA
    Current Employee - Merchandising Execution Associate in Danville, VA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time

Pros

Good life, school, and work balance.

Cons

Working in retail is never fun, but this is a good place to work.

Sep 19, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can expect to interact in a ... More

Store Manager

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good business model, fair and balanced mgmt team

Cons

Hard work, high expectations need better safety program!

Work life balance

Sep 11, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot.

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot