The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

My journey working at THD...so far very challenging!

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

At the home depot the employees truly adapt to the culture which consist of the value wheel. There is a genuine sense of loyalty and comradery amongst the employees (i.e, company cheer in every all hands meeting).The company tries to make the employees feel they have perks/options. At the SSC there is a daycare, fitness center, minute clinic, CVS pharmacy, and cafeteria. Another pro is all associates receive success sharing (bonus checks) twice a year if the stores do well and meet their sales objectives.

Cons

Well one of the cons is THD does not offer discounts to the product in the store to any of its employees. So far I have had 3 positions at THD, and I am noticing a serious lack of a true training format, and in some roles its really "sink or swim". In my most recent role, I had a huge learning curve and had to rely on my peers heavily because there was no structured training. I am more knowledgeable of my role now but for a minute I began to get discouraged. Another con is THD has no career plan or mentor program in place for its hourly employees. So you really have to beef up your networking skills and take the reigns into your own hands if you want to move around the company and develop your career.

In addition to knowing your role in management, it would be helpful to learn your subordinates role (or have some working knowledge) to assist with training...so that if that person quits the whole department wont crumble to pieces.. Also listen to the suggestions offered by the employees and really try to implement those suggestions given with practical sense.

Sep 19, 2013Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

6018 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Burn out Job at RDC!

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Joliet, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Generous stock options for Operation Managers and above
    Negotiable vacations for new hires

Cons

Work 12+ hours per day regardless of season
    Work off days routinely
    High pressure job
    Low morale / High turnover amongst supervisors and operations managers

Need to better automate the processes within the RDC as they are slow and antiquated; Need to bolster staffing at salaried ranks to avoid long hours and high stress in order to lower turnover rate.

Oct 29, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

IfIfonly they'd on
    If only they'd practice what they preach...

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Teamwork required, service-oriented. Solid core values. Many opportunities to learn. Schedule flexibility. Many awesome associates and customers! Decent hourly pay in comparison with other retailers.

Cons

Lip service to values. Bottom-line reality undermines survival of long-term associates (the "reward" of small income increases results in fewer work hours, success sharing $ don't come close to $ lost in cut hours, etc.) Despite talk to the contrary, associate suggestions/input not valued. Mostly lateral progress, not much incentive to grow. Pressured toward outward perfection rather than inspired toward co-"ownership".

Most workers enjoy doing the right thing. Encouragement works. Respect works. Please value your associates, especially those who have been with you for years. Act according to values wheel. Use common sense in directives: an associate cannot stand still and walk at the same time, cannot share important info with one another and greet a passing customer simultaneously. If we're empowered, don't jump on us for little rules you assume we are disregarding. And please make the military discount/support consistent and coherent.

Oct 11, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot