There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

My journey working at THD...so far very challenging!

Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Merchant Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At the home depot the employees truly adapt to the culture which consist of the value wheel. There is a genuine sense of loyalty and comradery amongst the employees (i.e, company cheer in every all hands meeting).The company tries to make the employees feel they have perks/options. At the SSC there is a daycare, fitness center, minute clinic, CVS pharmacy, and cafeteria. Another pro is all associates receive success sharing (bonus checks) twice a year if the stores do well and meet their sales objectives.

Cons

Well one of the cons is THD does not offer discounts to the product in the store to any of its employees. So far I have had 3 positions at THD, and I am noticing a serious lack of a true training format, and in some roles its really "sink or swim". In my most recent role, I had a huge learning curve and had to rely on my peers heavily because there was no structured training. I am more knowledgeable of my role now but for a minute I began to get discouraged. Another con is THD has no career plan or mentor program in place for its hourly employees. So you really have to beef up your networking skills and take the reigns into your own hands if you want to move around the company and develop your career.

Advice to Management

In addition to knowing your role in management, it would be helpful to learn your subordinates role (or have some working knowledge) to assist with training...so that if that person quits the whole department wont crumble to pieces.. Also listen to the suggestions offered by the employees and really try to implement those suggestions given with practical sense.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 19, 2013 – Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. Rewarding

Former Employee - Branch Manager
    Former Employee - Branch Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding experience that taught me a great deal about management structure, pricing structure, and employee accountability. Great company, great support.

Cons

Large beauracracy that struggles to change to market specific challenges. Lack of support from Human Resources to make proper decisions regarding employee pay and accountability.

Advice to Management

Support and offer opportunities to your best employees. Keep them engaged.

2. Awesome Company

Former Employee - Manager in Durham, NC
    Former Employee - Manager in Durham, NC

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

work is flexible for me and that is the most important thing for a single person

Cons

too much fun. Everyday was great. Was sorry I had to move

Advice to Management

keep it up

The Home Depot Response

Sep 24, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience while employed at The Home Depot.