There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Good Company

Former Contractor - Part Time Cashier in Saint Louis Park, MN
Former Contractor - Part Time Cashier in Saint Louis Park, MN

I worked at The Home Depot as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Great supervisors who understand you.

Cons

It can be difficult to stand for several hours on a concrete floor....

Sep 24, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

reviews filtered by
  1. Fun place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Collins, CO

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At my store, the majority of people working there are fun and a pleasure to work with. The Success Sharing is a plus and the management staff is great. It has been a great 2 1/2 years working there.

Cons

I hate that THD accepts almost everything that gets returned - whether it's been used, broken, missing parts, cut chain. Then, we associates have to figure out what to do with the junk. Why doesn't THD follow their own return policy instead of offering a free tool rental service? The loss prevention at my store is pathetic. None of the alarms work and there is no plan to get them fixed. Yes, customer service will help in some theft prevention, but the pros walk in, accept help and are very friendly, then walk out of the store (or don't even leave!) and take their goods straight to the returns desk, where they get a store merchandise card, which they then turn around and sell on the internet for a fraction of the face value.
    The pay rate is low compared to competitors. No discounts even though our competitors offer them to their employees (as well as benefits), yet THD says that they survey the pay/benefits and pay comparable to the area. Umm, in what world is no discount and lower pay 'comparable'?
    The scheduling system is not the greatest. Can't there be a way to have relatively fixed schedules for those that need/want one?

Advice to Management

Get serious about loss prevention - wouldn't that help keep prices lower?

Sep 24, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

2. Great opportunity for self-employed contractors to receive benefits

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, can be a great atmosphere, a lot of colleagues with professional home improvement experience to learn from.

Cons

Overshadow poor pay with benefits,"success sharing" and taxable customer service incentives. Store management hides behind corporate regulations.

Advice to Management

Upper management - You are scaring away talent with strict oversight of store managers.
    Store managers - Pay more attention to hard working employees.

Sep 13, 2013Client Partner