The Home Depot

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Assistant Store Manager

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

In working in several stores, I have found that this varies among the District leadership. A strong Store Manager and a decent District staff makes all the difference. The staff can focus on sales and the customers. This makes the day-to-day job functions enjoyable.

Cons

On the contrary, if a store finds itself with a subpar manager or an ineffective District team, the store becomes unbearable. This is typical in most large retailers. However, the leadership in the southern US has not shown the capabilities to eliminate these ineffective leaders. District staff and Store Managers are left to flounder and create poor store and district execution and results. This leaves a cyclical problem when trying to "fix" once prosperous stores, managers and sales.

There is a disconnect from the District Teams to the store management and associates. There is not enough training through walks with the appropriate individuals. This is due in large part to the constant changes of the District Walks and metrics. If the stores continue to hit the moving target, the beneficial impact of any type of metrically driven walk is nullified. Pick what is relevant and focus on that. This may not be Corporate's intent, but it is the result at the local level.

Oct 15, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. We wish you were happier with your current management. Please call 1.866.698.4347 and select the option for the Associate Advice Council Group ... More

5530 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Interesting people, not so interesting job, and demanding work.

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are rarely going to get bored. There is always someone to talk to, be it customer, co-worker, or even boss. A ton of learning and product insight to do there. Even at the crack of dawn till closing, you are rarely going to become bored.

Cons

Pay is not so great, considering that there are never enough people there for work. Often times, you are working in multiple departments, and are often under appreciated. The managers occasionally have compassion for others, but lack leadership skills and communication with other departments. They say they put customers and associates first, however, that isn't always the case.

Be more compassionate, flexible, and understanding to the associates. If you really want to be number 1 again in customer service, you better be good to your associates. If you give gold to the customers, give platinum to the associates. Then those associates will give platinum to the customers. If this analogy doesn't make any sense to you, go read up customer service and associate care from Marriott or Costco. Maybe, implement some of their strategies to your company.

Oct 25, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Good company, if you can adjust to the work schedule.

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Base salaries are consistent with the market. Bonus structure is favorable. Advancement opportunities are available. There is a full range of benefits offered to all levels of employees.

Cons

This is a retail environment, with that said, the work schedule is very difficult and not conducive for family. Health benefits continue to rise year after year, in which, I feel are too expensive for what is offered.

Remain consistent with directives and follow the values set forth by the company

Oct 29, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot