The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Disconnect between stated values and actions

Former Employee - Bilingual Sales Associate in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Bilingual Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I learned quite a bit about various products and techniques used in home repair and improvement.

It was some decent retail experience mixed with a little bit of warehouse experience (if you could get the proper training [more on that in the cons]).

The stated values that Home Depot holds as a company are community- and associate-oriented.

Cons

Getting the training I wanted (and at times needed) was far too difficult. It may have been specific to my location, but even with management calling for my department to get lift-truck certified, I still hadn't been given the hands-on training needed nearly four months later (despite having already done the computer training).

Despite having stated core values espousing its support for and high valuation of store-level hourly employees, two month after starting at Home Depot, the part-time employee hours were cut dramatically. I went from averaging 36-38 hours a week to 20-24; they also refused to hire or promote hardly anyone to a full-time status, even if the employee was committed and needed the boost.

Finally, after the semi-annual performance reviews, I spoke with several colleagues and found that no one, despite fantastic sales numbers and customer responses, seemed to score above adequate. It seems like that's par for the course, as it allowed them to forgo having to consider pay raises, as everyone was apparently merely "adequate".

Take care of your associates. Teach your middle management how to properly engage and motivate those at the lowest levels. Several of us had experience, education, and drive, and were dissatisfied with the way we were being treated as mere peons in the Home Depot hierarchy.

Oct 29, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

6005 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Changed for the worse

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Maryville, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Maryville, TN

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They so hire someone wanting any job

Cons

They no longer hire people with skills, not offer full time employment for them, and not willing to pay them based on experience

Nov 12, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback.

Lumber and Building Materials Sales Associate

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

One of the most fun departments in the store. Grooms anyone with the willingness into a knowledgeable customer service professional. Great place to gain experience on the forklift and learn what is needed to run a lumber department.

Cons

Almost impossible to get hired as a full time associate. In fact, the employees that work here see getting "full time status" as a big promotion. After two years of being a solid and outstanding employee my requests to be considered for full time were still overlooked. Alot of turnover and plan on staying a while if you want to become full time. Expect an average of 30 hours per week at $10.00 an hour for several years before having any chance at becoming a full time associate or consideration for promotion.

Get more involved with the associates and try not to be robots for corporate that only worry about the "numbers" and all their correlations. It is hard to find good employees and many with management potential down the road do not stay because the pay is low and it takes a long time to be granted full time status.

Nov 5, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot