Only For The hard Working And Close Mouthed

Current Employee - Pro Paint Sales Specialist in West Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Pro Paint Sales Specialist in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you take direction well, have a consistent good work ethic AND a consistent positive attitude, The Home Depot can become a career. You can move positions once or twice in a year and slowly work your way up the "food chain". Although you must always try to go above and beyond, whether it's with how you left your department looking after closing or if it's how well you assisted that irritated customer that had been misdirected twice already. Praise is given when you have REALLY earned it. I've moved six times in just three years, getting four small raises.

Cons

The raises are minimal. Until you get into management you don't make much. (The previous statement really applies to people about 30 and under without outstanding resumes.) Also, depending on the personalities of the people in management, you may seem to feel unappreciated. As soon as you realize you should never hold high expectations for Home Depot OR any of your coworkers, you will do fine. Fend for yourself.

Advice to Management

When working with people, obviously some need to just be told what to do, but ask for an associates help. Asking someone is always better than "You have to get this done tonight, okay?". Some managers have it down. Also, communicate with other managers. Communication seems to be the issue in every store, and I've worked in three stores in three states.

The Home Depot Response

Oct 29, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback. Keep up the great work!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Area Supervisor

Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Columbia, SC
    Current Employee - Area Supervisor in Columbia, SC

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Job Security, They don't have layoffs and there are lots of opportunity in the company. You can also transfer to different locations for advancement. Pay at the leadership level is not bad and the benefits are great at the DC.

Cons

Advancement is difficult. They hire from the outside for most of the leadership positions. If you want to be a manager, you better start as one or you will not become one.

Advice to Management

Train your associates to be leaders and promote from withen.

Worked 2.5 years in garden dept.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Albany, IN
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Albany, IN

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You get lots of training.Get to help lots of customers.

Cons

Not very flexable working hours.You may start at 6am one day and 1 pm the next. Pay is not match your abilties.In 2.5 years and 13 homer badges only made $9.59 pr hr and had to put up with lousie work hours.

Advice to Management

Show your good employes that you really care about them.Reward them with a liveing wage. Most have to have two jobes to make ends meet.

The Home Depot Response

Nov 20, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.