There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Only For The hard Working And Close Mouthed

Current Employee - Pro Paint Sales Specialist in West Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Pro Paint Sales Specialist in West Seattle, WA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you take direction well, have a consistent good work ethic AND a consistent positive attitude, The Home Depot can become a career. You can move positions once or twice in a year and slowly work your way up the "food chain". Although you must always try to go above and beyond, whether it's with how you left your department looking after closing or if it's how well you assisted that irritated customer that had been misdirected twice already. Praise is given when you have REALLY earned it. I've moved six times in just three years, getting four small raises.

Cons

The raises are minimal. Until you get into management you don't make much. (The previous statement really applies to people about 30 and under without outstanding resumes.) Also, depending on the personalities of the people in management, you may seem to feel unappreciated. As soon as you realize you should never hold high expectations for Home Depot OR any of your coworkers, you will do fine. Fend for yourself.

When working with people, obviously some need to just be told what to do, but ask for an associates help. Asking someone is always better than "You have to get this done tonight, okay?". Some managers have it down. Also, communicate with other managers. Communication seems to be the issue in every store, and I've worked in three stores in three states.

Oct 29, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback. Keep up the great work!

reviews filtered by

I Was Warned & Should Have Known Better

Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - IT Project Manager in Atlanta, GA

I worked at The Home Depot as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Well known brand, knowledgeable coworkers, decent location, good pay

Cons

Conflicting views on PM process and who actually owns which piece of the pie creates nonstop politics. Not a projectized environment, more of a weak matrix. If you are expecting a senior PM role do not work here, others own delivery and you will be merely managing tasks and sending notes. Whenever you try to assert the usual role of a senior PM you will be seen as "clashing" with others while they dictate your approach. Save yourself the aggravation, don't work here. If I had seen one negative review of the PM role on glass door I wouldn't have left my great job for this, so I am posting one. A prior coworker tried to warn me but I didn't listen. If you like where you are - stay, the brand is not a step up.

Be clear with PMs that it is a weak matrix, not a matrix

Nov 13, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

I enjoyed the interaction with the customers helping them with the how-tos and materials needed for their projects.

Former Employee - Associate In Lumber/Building Materials and Hardware Department S in Merriam, KS

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

It provided a place to use my skills and knowledge as a remodeling and home improvement contractor ( the only one in the dept. at the time I was there) assisting the DIYers with their projects. One can keep up with the new products that come on the market for home improvements.

Cons

I did not like the rotating shifts times. I believe working the same shift all of the time allows for the associate to get to know the customers that shop at those times. This builds the customer's confidence in the company to ask for help on longer projects from an associate that is familiar with the customers abilities and skill levels.

I think management spent too much time being concerned about the store sales record without enough attention to the fact that how the employee feels about his worth to the company can affect their day to day efforts to promote the store. I was only part- time and left when I mentioned to the store managers that I had a full-time job offer and instead of them trying to get corporate to make me full-time and keep me, I was told "If you want to quit, do so. We do not care."

Nov 13, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot