There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Overall, a great place to work.

Former Employee - District Services Manager in Dallas, TX
Former Employee - District Services Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many opportunities open to associates to move up in the company. Very good benefits for full time associates. Great to work for a company dedicated to being involved in community projects. Most stores develop a strong sense of family.

Cons

Many systems and processes are antiquated. With starting wage very low and annual increases around 3-4%, it can take a long time to get to the big bucks unless you are willing to get into management. Staffing in the departments is always so sparse; if someone calls out sick, it throws the whole day into a tailspin. Too many associates that don't follow dress code or attendance policies get by with it for way too long. With the low hire-in wages, it is difficult for them to hire people with much experience.

Advice to Management

Stay out of the office as much as possible, be more involved on the sales floor and in the departments. Associates appreciate a manager who not only gives good direction with explanation, but also pitches in to help when a new process rolls out or when things get busy.

Nov 20, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs. Managers and associates alike are essential parts of The Home ... More

Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot

1. Fun job and guaranteed 40 hrs

Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Tulsa, OK
    Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Tulsa, OK

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

lots of positions and opportunity

Cons

can be hard to move around departments

Nov 20, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you enjoyed your employment with The Home Depot.

I like that what the Home Depot does in general is to educate the DIY'er about the whole project and what they will need

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate gives all the associates the ability to make the customer happy without having to first get permission. We have a small monetary leeway to satisfy our customers and it's useful. There are also many unexpected benefits, such as meals provided periodically, contests and competitions with chances to win days off with pay etc.

Cons

Home Depot used to offer healthcare to both part-time and full-time employees but now only offers it to full-time. The pay could be better.

Advice to Management

Communication within the chain of command would be suggested.

Nov 20, 2013 – Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More