The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Great people, decent job, mostly reasonable expectations, great bosses

Current Employee - Cashier in Lexington-Fayette, KY
Current Employee - Cashier in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of food provided for employees, great experience, very laid back work environment

Cons

Low pay for the employees

I think the Homer awards should be removed as it promotes a "good old boy's" system, not necessarily motivating the worker to perform better, but scratching the backs of the people you get along with best outside of work. To compensate for removal of the Homer Awards there should be commission on appliances, pro sales, and any high dollar items or an increase in hourly wage.

5785 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

a ok place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Lake Havasu City, AZ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than a year)

Pros

very good advancement program good money

Cons

dont relly have any bad things to say

The Home Depot Response

Dec 11, 2013Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We are happy to hear you are enjoying your employment with The Home Depot.

Very sexist and female phobic

Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Paint Sales Associate in Beaverton, OR

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You get a W2 and paid 2x monthly. Bathrooms are "okay". Your customers care about good customer service and are repeat customers if they like the helpers.

Cons

All training is via outdated computers in closed stalls/rooms. Part of training includes 2+ hours of anti-union pressure. The message, "if you support unions you put your friends and coworkers' jobs at high risk. We are proud to offer all the support of a union without the dues." If you are offered a job while on the property whether on the clock or not and do not immediately walk away you will be terminated even if you are falsely reported by a coworker. You aren't given employee discounts nor health insurance. You have to fight for work comp. Starting wage is $10.50 before taxes.

I was hired to work in the interior decor department and first day of work was transferred to the paint department having previously told my asthma would prevent this department change. I worked for 1 month before my doctor required me to resign. I gave the management notice of this and was told if I couldn't work in Paint I would be fired in bluntness. I was told maybe I just wasn't meant to be a Home Depot team member. When I spoke to the coordinator regarding the department change and discrimination issues, I was offered a cashier position under the condition of pay cut. Also when I was in training for less than 2 days I was put on a shift by myself with no knowledge as to use paint mixer or product knowledge (was skipped on computer training - also the computer wouldn't allow training due to "prior training as decor associate").

My department head left within 1 week of my hire and since the paint department is so pressured and the highest trafficked area (labor day weekend was terrifying - home depot's black friday), no one wanted to apply (only hired from within). When the most senior teammate applied, the only one that stood up for the women in Paint, he was promptly turned down due to carriage of person. Or in other words the hiring is a popularity contest. It was an apparent culture in this store.

Another note I was called the "flower" by other employees. I found out that this meant I was a walking target for getting "tapped" as a female. I was repeatedly pursued by my fellow employees including men that could easily have been my grandfather or great uncle. I am 25 and considered average to "plain" by most males. It was unwanted and voiced as such. It only made the assistant managers chuckle and say it's part of the deal being a "girl". I was called son or boyo by most of the elder men. When I said I didn't really appreciate it I was told you are a guy here in Home Depot, we all are. Men are the ones that get respected. We can fix things. Girls not so much. Customers expect men to know how to fix things not complicated them like "girls".

I had many customers give glowing customer service cards. I remember one elderly woman who had been waiting on paint for over 30 minutes even though I wasn't allowed to use the mixers while my trainer was sitting on the counter talking to a friend who came to visit on his shift. She said she needed her paint and could no longer stand. I told her I would do my best to help. I walked her over to the interior decor department where they sell carpet and sat her at the desk so she could rest. I went and asked if we could mix her paint. I was told I should do it if I wanted it done. I did it. She smiled and tried to give me $100 because she said I don't get paid enough if I am this nice.

Another elderly man came to buy deck finishing paint and bought a 5 gallon. He was having trouble getting it into his cart. I weigh maybe 120 pounds on a heavy day. I managed to lift the bucket over half my weight since another associate again was talking to a friend on a shift instead of helping. I walked him to the check out and wasn't helped so I brought him to customer service. He smiled and said he would come back if I promised to help him.

I had many customers ask for me by name since I was the "color" girl. I could help customers figure out paint schemes and was asked repeatedly to work outside of The Depot as a consultant for a whole house redo. I managed to sell a man 3x the amount he needed to do his house because he said he wanted me to get noticed so I would stay working. I had customers ask for my schedule (didn't oblige) so they could work with me to get the color just right. For all this "customer satisfaction" I was spoken to by the management for being too helpful. They said, "we (Depot Employees) aren't' here to help, we are here to sell items. 'You' aren't doing your job. You are doing the customers' jobs. You need to not help and just stand there. You were hired to work not help."

I ended up giving notice after 2.5 months due to health issues caused by the paint. Also we were told to tell customers that our paint is safe to use in children's rooms and sleep within rooms 12 hours after painting without any health issues. After 1 week of not working at the depot I no longer had asthma incidents. I hadn't had any issues with my asthma since I was 4. I didn't even need an inhaler. I did while working there including a rescue + daily booster not normally prescribed due to dose effects on heart issues (I have a PDA - this isn't a good combo).

I wouldn't recommend working for the depot if you could help it. Do note that many employees (males) worked at the depot for more than 5 years. So they do retain employees but not females often - I wonder why.

I would pay more attention to sexual harassment laws and hazing issues. I would recommend proper training and attention to listed disabilities and health concerns in applications instead of ignoring obvious health issues and pressuring associates to "man up".

The Home Depot Response

Jan 13, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot