The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

They hired me when I really needed a job, and for that I am very grateful.

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice co-workers and great customers. Flexible schedules, good benefits and perks, even for part-timers. Better than average starting pay.

Cons

Terrible recruiting and hiring process; disorganized and off-point training; no attempt to develop and promote associates; pay increases not determined by individual performance. In-store management lacks respect for front line associates; management by intimidation. Doesn't hire full-time employees, and very few part-timers are given the option to become full-time. To avoid health insurance expenses,they cut part-time hours to no more than 29/wk; and in the off season schedule as low as 7hrs/wk.

Stop stepping on your own tail. At HD, associates are not fungible. They need a body of knowledge because customers expect expert advice and service. Part-timers can learn from experts and become very helpful, but not if there is no experienced person there to teach them. And not if you don't give them enough hours with full-timers to learn the department. Pay attention to your work force and your stock price will take care of itself.

Feb 19, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback. At The Home Depot, we strive to provide an environment where associates feel they’re valued, treated fairly, and respected. Taking care of our people is one of our core ... More

5997 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Great Starter Job

I worked at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Relaxed Environment, Fast Paced, Opportunities to Grow

Cons

Occasionally Poor Management, Short Staffed

Store Managers pay attention to your departments if their scores have gone down, maybe it should be looked into.
    Advice to CEO look into going back to having specialists in every department and not having the associate moved to a different department every shift.

Mar 12, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

Hiring Process

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Concord, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Just hired but thoroughly impressed with the process. The online information, testing and procedures were excellent and they got right back to me in a couple of days to arrange an interview the next day. They interview process was structured, thorough, interviewed with a Department Manager, then the Store Manager (who I was very impressed with) and was hired within an hour and a half. I was highly qualified, they knew it and the process was very smooth and quick with nice people involved.

Cons

Don't know yet but the Store Manager assured me with my background I could go anywhere I want to because he seemed very qualified for his job, I believe him.

Looks like you are on the right track.

Mar 12, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate your compliment regarding the hiring process. We also strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected and that their ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot