Good place to work

Former Employee - Flooring Salesperson in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Flooring Salesperson in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Accomodating in scheduling, Flexible in working areas

Cons

lack of people training for supervisors and managers

Feb 19, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Don't waste your time

Current Employee - Associate in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Associate in Sandy, UT

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job and if you're the type of person that wants to learn you can pick up various skills.

Cons

They used to start out the new hires at $12.00, now it's $9.75. I'm presented with a new quandary every day; do the job right and have my supervisor scold me, or do a mediocre job, then get criticized. It seems that you just cannot please them.

Advice to Management

My observation thus far is that Home Depot's management model is fear. When they know the higher-ups are coming for an inspection, they scurry around like paranoid mice to make the store presentable in the fashion they believe the higher-ups want to see. You can't talk the talk and leave it at that. If you don't build a solid foundation of content employees, all the corporate lies you spew are empty words. And, it's an outright insult to the associates. For the few upper management folks I've met, your listening skills are in need of improvement, and stop trying to second guess what we're thinking. Also, keep your egos in check. Only the suck-ups pretend to be impressed. Treat your great employees like royalty and fire the one that are there just to collect a paycheck.

Mar 5, 2014 – Client Partner

Thank you for your review. In the same way that The Home Depot’s products help people build homes and projects, the eight core values we uphold help us build a strong business and culture. Our nearly ... More

Night shifts for near minimum wage

Former Employee - Freight Associate
    Former Employee - Freight Associate

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working night shifts stocking shelves you get to sleep in, but this can be a con if you want to start your day like 90% of other Americans. You will never look at a fully stocked retail storespace the same way again.

Cons

I was paid $8.50 an hour for hard labor late in the night. It's a hard labor job that's paid like it isn't, there were multiple nights where I would have to unload pallets of 4 gallon fertilizer etc. Also while legally you are allowed a 15 minute break management does everything short of straight up preventing you from taking that break.

Advice to Management

Pay your night crew more.

Mar 5, 2014 – Client Partner