The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com

Sequim Home Depot 8998 is an Awesome place to work!

Freight Team Associate (Current Employee) Sequim, WA

ProsWorking for Home Depot has been an awesome experience! Almost every Employee seems happy to be at work everyday. We all smile, laugh and greet each other in passing. All Home Depot Associates will stop whatever they are doing to lend a hand to, not only a customer but to other Associates as well. And that is really important.

Management is very talented at keeping employees happy and makes the shift a pleasurable one. It almost feels like a family. Managers as well as Employees, bring in food to share, leave coupons for discounts on food and leave a wide range of literature in the breakroom for all to share.

When someone has a life issue, Associates will come together to try and help that Employee. For instance, last week one of the Employees had a death in the family and needed money for the funeral. Home Depot said they would match all donations and Everyone put what they could into the fund. This type of Attitude is why I really like my job. Everyone looks out for each other.

One other thing I like is helping the Customers. I love problem solving and boy do they have them! Even though I'm stocking, I am consistently asked where something in the store is. Good thing they asked me :) It always feels good when I know where to take them. Also, It's pretty easy to up-sell once you get them there. It always feels good when they take your advice.

Job Satisfaction is a must and Home Depot has it for me.

ConsThere are a few things I do not like about my job. If I could, I would want to be a Full-time Employee. Only Department Heads and Managers get a full 40 hours a week. I usually only recieve about 20 hours a week. The total monthly compensation I recieve does not even cover my rent. Which means I have to have work a second job, making me a less effective employee.

Also, a Freight Team Associate has the most difficult job (physically) in the store. Constantly picking upwards of 100 pounds and miles of walking from the receiving area throughout the store is quite a workout. I go home every night exausted! As a Professional Framer (lack of work) I compare the physical labor as the same, yet at half the pay.

One other issue I have as a Freight Team Associate. The harder you work, the less pay you recieve! It really doesn't make sense... For instance, The faster you prepare the store for 'Grand Opening Condition' the sooner the Department Head sends you home at the end of the night. It almost seems like if I slacked off, I would recieve more hours because the work still must be completed by the end of the night.

Advice to Senior ManagementA Hard working Freight Team Associate should be paid a minimum of $12 an hour. As a General Contractor, I paid all of my valued labor employees a minimum of $12 an hour. Stockers in many other warehouses make as much. At least pay more to those who can throw twice as much freight as his/her counterpart. I find that I'm always stuck on the 'OP', stocking paint and any of the other heavy work like tile or cabinets and toliets while other employees are quite often always getting all the light duty pack out, like light bulbs and trash cleanup at the same pay. It's illogical and unfair.

Also... Hand out Homer Awards more often! Why does it take some employees over a year to even get one? And then, You have to get 3 of them to even be financially rewarded a Whopping $50! I say ALL Homer awards should be a $50 bonus. I mean, seriously think about this... $50 divided by 52 weeks is a dollar a week reward for Great work? Come on... If you want employees to be more effective, reward them more often!

Oh, and one more thing... the Subfloor glue (Liquid Nails) should be located on an endcap in Lumber. Not just in the Paint Department. In ALL stores. I don't know how many times I have had to go down to the Paint Department on the opposite end of the store to get glue when I'm buying plywood. Maybe stick it with the Simpson Hardware. ;) This ONE thing has always bugged me for the last 10 years about Home Depot.

Other than that, you guys KICK BUTT!

Good place to be

MET (Current Employee) Rochester, NY

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros: Clean safe environment. Traveling to different stores so the variety is nice. Established hours.… Cons: Some special projects seem like a waste of time. As part… Advice to Senior Management: As a merchandiser times I am not able to be creative. Why is… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Approach people who have strength in an area and foster growth potential in that area!

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Pinellas Park, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros: It is a decent place to work part time and a… Cons: They do not see beyond the aspect that you are a body that they need in a department and that you can take video training… Advice to Senior Management: When you hire people, continue to learn what strengths they have and put those to work just as they teach children to do in school.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on The Home Depot.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!