There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

"Cashiers are a dime a dozen"

Current Employee - Cashier
Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy my customers and the people I work with in general.

Cons

Started as a cashier at the rate of $9.65 per hour. I received a ten cent raise when I had my first evaluation. Because of an injury and loa, I received no raise on my second anniversary, instead my pay raise was put off until my 3 year anniversary, I received a 20 cent raise. This even after I became proficient at the service desk and currently work with a young woman who was recently hired and essentially does the same job as me. She was hired on at $10.75 an hour, 80 cents more than what I am paid after over three years of history with this company. One of our former managers coined the phrase that "cashiers are a dime a dozen". At the Home Depot this rings true, I have received an equivalent in pay raise, of one dime for each year.

In my experience cashiers are the hardest working employees at the Home Depot. We can't wander around chatting. We are under constant surveillance by supervisors who sole job is to stand and watch. I have seen times when 3 head cashiers stood at the front end, just watching the cashiers work. This is a very disproportionate situation where employees having freedom are paid at a higher scale than those who must stand at or in front of a counter for 8 hours of every shift, under constant surveillance.

There is deliberate discrimination against the cashiers based on job title. I certainly work as hard and harder than any other employee there, yet I am saddled with a lower wage simply because of my job title. Home Depot likes to claim we are all one big family. If that is the case then, there are certain members of the family who are continually and systematically discriminated against when it comes to pay, based on job title.

Advice to Management

Change the culture of discrimination against your cashiers.

The Home Depot Response

Apr 10, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

reviews filtered by