Good for retail

Current Employee - Cos  in  Austin, TX
Current Employee - Cos in Austin, TX

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Some benefits, positive influence on local community, monday-friday for my position as Customer Order Specialist, rewards, opportunity to move up readily available if you want to put in the effort and terrible schedule.

Cons

Worked here 6.5 years, was regularly commemorated for achievements and asked to be a supervisor, but they REFUSE to pay competitively. I eventually had no choice but to take another job offer (I gave them the opportunity to meet the offer of $15/hr, but they "couldnt"). Also, management will constantly micromanage all the way up the chain of command, so you constantly have "big wigs" visiting the store and changing procedures and processes and differdnt supervisors telling you different things constantly. Finally, and this is the WORST, favoritism and fear of offending homosexual employees. I promise you, I have nothing against anyone for their life choices; I literally couldn't care less if your straight, gay, married to your cousin or into beastiality. That being said, I get infuriated with companies that refuse to address issues like harassment, or to allow rules like attendance or dress code to be broken by someone simply because of their sexual orientation. Home Depot is horrible at this and it is viewed as favoritism by the other associates and is horrible for morale.

Truly play into the open door policy. Listen to your associates & stand up for them. It used to be this way, but HD has lost sight of it. As for the big guys in Atlanta, you may want to rethink the criteria for new hires. Just because they'll work for $7.50/hr doesn't mean they're the best choice... we tell customers all the time, "you get what you pay for", shouldn't you remember that too? I was an AWESOME associate and would've stayed on for 20+ years if you had just paid competitively.

Apr 14, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More

Other Reviews for The Home Depot

Outstanding performer not being advanced or compensated.

Current Employee - Merchandise Department Supervisor  in  Flowery Branch, GA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Department Supervisor in Flowery Branch, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I am allowed to express my entrepreneurial acumen, and am recognized for outstanding department statistics. My associates respect my leadership and trust that I will "have their backs" allowing me to foster new/promising associates by example. Benefits are pretty good. Management at highest levels are very competent and widely respected.

Cons

Management at store level is widely inconsistent, under qualified, unprofessional, and garners below average respect from subordinates. There are very few SM's and ASM's that recognize the difference between associates that self promote great performance and associates blow smoke and "kiss their tails". Outstanding associates are "performance penalized" by not being promoted because they are good for the bottom line and daily operation and make Managers look good to District and Regional leadership which is also very inconsistent and poor examples of the "inverted . I am a 50 year old, white male with two college degrees and it has been evidenced and stated "off the record" it a big dis-advantage to my prospects for advancement with a large company that must display it's diversity to the public. The compensation is barely enough to make ends meet on a week to week basis and the increases are way below average @ 2.5%. The company continues to roll out too many ideas and initiatives to make it easier to meet their metrics and better serve their customers. It does exactly the opposite.

Ensure your store management, district management, and regional management display the values of the company and act as servant leaders to their associates as is very seldom the case. Recognize the top performers in the stores and compensate them with a fair and decent wage above the poverty line. Stop trying to pretend that your staffing initiatives and "pilots" will have a positive effect in delivering outstanding customer service. Your smart store employees know more than you think and our loyalty is waning rapidly.

Apr 10, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Not a bad experience for someone going to college.

Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate  in  Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Merchandise Execution Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

everybody helps each other out on the met team.

Cons

the store always blames us for their problems when its store management that has no clue what they're doing.

Hire people who actually want to work and people who won't chose favorites.

Apr 25, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. MEAs and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s MET network. We appreciate your feedback. Keep up the great work!

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot.

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!