There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Make it a career or a stepping stone

I worked at The Home Depot for more than 5 years

Pros

Great benefits. Nice people to work with.

Cons

They look at the numbers not the people. HD is big on getting and staying healthy. Unfortunately, the way they schedule the hours, no one can have a body rhythm or the energy to get healthy. They now use a computer program to do the schedule. They do not deviate from it. So it makes no difference to them whether or not there is coverage in the departments. One of they're other BIGGIES is the VOC (voice of the customer) that is a very good thing. I just can't figure out how they expect the customers to be happy with no one on the floor to help them. They also seem to think that unhappy employees are what they want. It would be so easy for them to make everyone happy. Just listen to them, adjust schedules so people can have a life outside HD. But no, only Assistant Store Managers and above are worthy of that. They don't listen to the employees that are out on the floor helping the customers as to what works and what doesn't. It's like talking to a wall. They have a great set of core values. They just don't use it. They don't enforce the rules with the customers. An employee will explain to the customer that "No we can't do that, it's against Company policy", the customer complains to management and wala, we are the bad guy and the customer gets their way. In a small area that gets around. Now all the customers know, complain loudly and you can get anything for free. Bad business.

Listen to your employees. There are always the ones that are chronic complainers, but you know which ones are hard working and care about the company. Take the time to review the schedules. Let your employees have a life. Remember they are people not just a matrix based on numbers, feeding your Success Sharing. Do something about the pay scale. People can't live on what you pay them.

Apr 30, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

4931 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Good Luck!

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time

Pros

Close to home. Last resort unless you prefer p/t and can figure it all out on your own.

Cons

Poor communication and leadership, antiquated POS and technical systems, will hire warm body to have someone on the floor, low employee moral and high turn-over, sub par health insurance options, low pay and NO employee discount. Walmart has nothing on The Home Depot.

For a company with such influence, you owe it to your employees and customers to update your old technology, communicate better with employees, give an employee discount to encourage loyalty.

Jun 6, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, The Home Depot believes the key to business is our commitment to customer service and creating an environment where all ... More

Not give adequate training

Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier  in  Quincy, MA
    Former Employee - Home Depot Cashier in Quincy, MA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time for less than a year

Pros

I got good pay to start off.

Cons

They tell you to do things that they have not yet trained you how to do and then act irritated while teaching you how to do it. Which they should have done to begin with!

Give employees better training before putting them on the flor

Jun 6, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. Did you know we offer a variety of training courses, leadership programs, mentoring programs and promotion opportunities to associates at all ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Worked for The Home Depot? Contribute to the Community!