The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Make it a career or a stepping stone

I worked at The Home Depot (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Nice people to work with.

Cons

They look at the numbers not the people. HD is big on getting and staying healthy. Unfortunately, the way they schedule the hours, no one can have a body rhythm or the energy to get healthy. They now use a computer program to do the schedule. They do not deviate from it. So it makes no difference to them whether or not there is coverage in the departments. One of they're other BIGGIES is the VOC (voice of the customer) that is a very good thing. I just can't figure out how they expect the customers to be happy with no one on the floor to help them. They also seem to think that unhappy employees are what they want. It would be so easy for them to make everyone happy. Just listen to them, adjust schedules so people can have a life outside HD. But no, only Assistant Store Managers and above are worthy of that. They don't listen to the employees that are out on the floor helping the customers as to what works and what doesn't. It's like talking to a wall. They have a great set of core values. They just don't use it. They don't enforce the rules with the customers. An employee will explain to the customer that "No we can't do that, it's against Company policy", the customer complains to management and wala, we are the bad guy and the customer gets their way. In a small area that gets around. Now all the customers know, complain loudly and you can get anything for free. Bad business.

Listen to your employees. There are always the ones that are chronic complainers, but you know which ones are hard working and care about the company. Take the time to review the schedules. Let your employees have a life. Remember they are people not just a matrix based on numbers, feeding your Success Sharing. Do something about the pay scale. People can't live on what you pay them.

Apr 30, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

5990 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and they are really putting a large amount of effort into providing organic growth opportunities. The people that you work with (for the most part) are all smart and fun to collaborate with, but you do get the occasional old school that doesn't 'do things that way' every now and then. Your work schedule will be busy and your hours will be long, but depending on your work area you might have some flexibility in terms of telecommuting (also a con). Senior leadership typically does an admirable job of communicating any big changes or initiatives to the broader group and this is very much appreciated.

Cons

There is a large amount of politics that goes on and in terms of promotions and career you are much more likely to ascend the corporate ladder if you started in one of their golden child training programs. There has also been an expressed desire to attract and keep top talent, but they offer low and provide very little wiggle room for salary negotiation. You will also get yearly increases, but they are minimal so be very firm on what your starting salary should be and do not take promises on futures. Finally, the option of telecommuting is much more encouraged for contractors than for salaried employees. It comes off as much more of a recruiting tool then an actual benefit to current employees. The perception from senior leaders (or your direct leader) is that telecommuting is more for the exception than the rule and scheduling a weekly cadence of working from home for 'x' day of week is frowned upon.

My advice would be to increase communication about policies that favor the work/life balance. You want to sell a new hire on telecommuting? Make it a more realistic option for your current employees. More than just communicating is the top down implementation that enables the rank and file to take advantage of these great options rather than be judged for using them.

May 16, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

Amazing environment to work in.

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Acworth, GA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Acworth, GA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's like working work family.

Cons

Management was somewhat lacking for leadership roles

Interview more qualified members for leadership roles such as head cashier for veterans who know how to lead a group in the right direction.

May 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Cashier associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s Retail network. We appreciate your feedback.

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot