The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
  www.homedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers and they are really putting a large amount of effort into providing organic growth opportunities. The people that you work with (for the most part) are all smart and fun to collaborate with, but you do get the occasional old school that doesn't 'do things that way' every now and then. Your work schedule will be busy and your hours will be long, but depending on your work area you might have some flexibility in terms of telecommuting (also a con). Senior leadership typically does an admirable job of communicating any big changes or initiatives to the broader group and this is very much appreciated.

Cons

There is a large amount of politics that goes on and in terms of promotions and career you are much more likely to ascend the corporate ladder if you started in one of their golden child training programs. There has also been an expressed desire to attract and keep top talent, but they offer low and provide very little wiggle room for salary negotiation. You will also get yearly increases, but they are minimal so be very firm on what your starting salary should be and do not take promises on futures. Finally, the option of telecommuting is much more encouraged for contractors than for salaried employees. It comes off as much more of a recruiting tool then an actual benefit to current employees. The perception from senior leaders (or your direct leader) is that telecommuting is more for the exception than the rule and scheduling a weekly cadence of working from home for 'x' day of week is frowned upon.

My advice would be to increase communication about policies that favor the work/life balance. You want to sell a new hire on telecommuting? Make it a more realistic option for your current employees. More than just communicating is the top down implementation that enables the rank and file to take advantage of these great options rather than be judged for using them.

May 16, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

5530 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Amazing environment to work in.

Former Employee - Head Cashier in Acworth, GA
    Former Employee - Head Cashier in Acworth, GA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's like working work family.

Cons

Management was somewhat lacking for leadership roles

Interview more qualified members for leadership roles such as head cashier for veterans who know how to lead a group in the right direction.

May 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Cashier associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s Retail network. We appreciate your feedback.

Great Place to Work if You Like To Work

Current Employee - Lead Generator in Bristol, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Generator in Bristol, VA

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My boss is great. Always something to do. Never a dull moment.

Cons

Rude customers. Hard work at times.

Avoid mangers that micro manage.

May 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. From the top down, the key to business at The Home Depot is our commitment to customer service. We are happy to hear you are enjoying your ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot