The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
Employer Engaged
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Excellent opportunities for advancement, strong values, commitment to associates.

Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Bookkeeper in Austin, TX

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Home Depot really cares about it's employees and gives ample room for growth if you're driven. It's a company that really cares about promoting it's own people rather than hiring from outside and that's something I always focused on. In the three years I worked there I had 4 positions and two of them were moves up instead of lateral moves into other departments and was being fast tracked into a management program before I left the company to teach (I worked there throughout college).

Like many big retailers it all comes down to individual management teams and how they implement the company policies, but I found that the policies are good and when you have good management who implement them correctly instead of mistreating them it creates a wonderful work environment.

Pay was also great. Even when hiring pay rates decreased when the company was experiencing problems due to the recession they were still starting entry level workers at more than a dollar over minimum wage. They also were quick to remedy the low rates with raises and bonuses as soon as they were able.

Cons

Time off procedures could use a drastic overhaul. The company has been trying to give people more paid time off but don't expect any sizable vacation/paid leave if you haven't been in the company for at least 20 years.

If you've got a bad manager then it's going to suck. The company gives plenty of room for you to be a wonderful manager/management team, and the policies support it. However there are some managers who take complete advantage of the system and can easily ruin the work environment and make you feel unappreciated. There is also not a good checks and balances system in place for these kind of managers.

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

6005 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Operations manager. Work, Life, Balance was a concern.

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at The Home Depot full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Structural Company as this was an asset for myself with a Military background. Co-workers were friendly and willing to help in all areas. Customers were knowledgeable and just wanting help in areas that they were unfamiliar with.

Cons

Hours per week as a member of Salaried Management. Hours and Management were not on the same page as far as hours per Individual Manager and upper Management worked per Company SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) was concerned.

Promotions and training was a positive experience. Compensation was an issue for hours worked. Some Manager worked 40-45 hours per week, as others worked 60-70. Job required Salaried managers to work 55 hours per week as a standard.

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. We are happy to hear you had a positive experience at The Home Depot.

Good

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Good Benefits and some stores have very good employees and good starting pay friendly people, they do care about family issues

Cons

Changing hours, some stores have bad management, hours are constantly changing need mpre steady hours, need to fix some internal polcies

None

Jul 3, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Retail associates are the face of The Home Depot for the thousands of customers who walk through the doors each day. As a retail associate you can ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot