Fun and energizing atmosphere

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy sharing your knowledge or testing your creativity, Home Depot will supply and endless stream of your kind of experiences. YOUR experience and enthusiasm is what made Home Depot famous and it is still alive with many of the associates.
The pressure is on when the traffic peaks, but it rarely lasts for more than an hour or so in any given area. That being said, wear good shoes and you'll get your 10,000 daily steps in to keep you fit.

Cons

At times the new retail methodology of part time and fewer people in the aisles is exasperating, but if you can appreciate being the person making people happy, you will enjoy working in the big box.
People looking to advance are too often willing to sacrifice those under them with impossible tasking while they stroll through their daily list of "things to do ".

Advice to Management

My advise comes from 40 years of watching people make the wrong choices. Management would increase the bottom line if they went back to basics. Knowledge is power! You created the near perfect retail experience and took all the strength out of it. If you add 10% strength (people working well in the aisles) you will add 20% to the sales. That is what you are losing every time aisles are empty or under staffed and you lose sales and sacrifice merchandise to vaandalism and theft.

reviews filtered by
  1. If you are motivated to move up don't work here

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Marcos, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

punch a clock get paid
    friendly relaxed work environment
    no work to take home

Cons

pay is very low, most employees are part time, company says costumer service is important but doesn't have enough staff

Advice to Management

use the great base of knowledge in your employees to find new ways to make more money
    hire more full time people to create some continuity

The Home Depot Response

Sep 30, 2014Client Partner

Thanks for taking the time to share your comments. We have shared your feedback with others. Our associates are encouraged to adopt and adapt good ideas from others, and initiate creative and ... More

2. It's not What it use to be...

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you are retired, attending school, or you need extra income this is an ok place to work. You meet a lot of interesting people from many walks of life.

Cons

They will take advantage of your work ethics by leading you on with a carrot at the end of an extended stick. From experience this company has changed from a place were one could gain a good salary without a college degree.

Advice to Management

In order to get respect you have to give it.

The Home Depot Response

Oct 8, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. We understand that our associates are the key to our success. We pay competitive rates and strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are ... More