The Home Depot

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Fun and energizing atmosphere

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy sharing your knowledge or testing your creativity, Home Depot will supply and endless stream of your kind of experiences. YOUR experience and enthusiasm is what made Home Depot famous and it is still alive with many of the associates.
The pressure is on when the traffic peaks, but it rarely lasts for more than an hour or so in any given area. That being said, wear good shoes and you'll get your 10,000 daily steps in to keep you fit.

Cons

At times the new retail methodology of part time and fewer people in the aisles is exasperating, but if you can appreciate being the person making people happy, you will enjoy working in the big box.
People looking to advance are too often willing to sacrifice those under them with impossible tasking while they stroll through their daily list of "things to do ".

My advise comes from 40 years of watching people make the wrong choices. Management would increase the bottom line if they went back to basics. Knowledge is power! You created the near perfect retail experience and took all the strength out of it. If you add 10% strength (people working well in the aisles) you will add 20% to the sales. That is what you are losing every time aisles are empty or under staffed and you lose sales and sacrifice merchandise to vaandalism and theft.

5513 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Promotions are predetermined, interviews were just going through the motion.

Current Employee - Cashier in Austintown, OH
    Current Employee - Cashier in Austintown, OH

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Employees are hardworking, mostly friendly. Working conditions are fair. They make an effort to establish a social atmosphere. Many department heads are qualified for the position, some are not. Management is good at public relations with customers.

Cons

Getting promoted is not a fair practice. The store I work in has a store manager with history with a few select employees and those are the ones promoted or moved to better positions. Whenever a position becomes available, the person who will be installed in that position is predetermined by the store manager and then puts on a show of interviewing candidates for the position even though he has already made a choice. Department heads and head cashiers are selected based mainly on their friendship with the store manager .

Be fair to everyone under your employ. Stop marginalizing the rest of the employees. Look beyond your circle of friends and give others a chance to improve themselves. Awarding Homer awards have become a joke. Award Homers for actual good work or deed or accomplishment, not for superficial reasons.

The Home Depot Response

Sep 30, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your hard work and dedication. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and ... More

Good place to work and meet new people

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

company culture its ok and there is no stress of being there. Also some of the managers are helpfull

Cons

no company values. Costumers are very rude to deal with

take care of your emplyes

The Home Depot Response

Sep 30, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your feedback! We wish you were happier with your current management. Although we are unable to comment on your specific experience, we value our associates and understand that our ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot