The Home Depot

HR

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Detroit, MI
Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Detroit, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

compensation especially stock grants and bonus
training
recognition
people
ESPP

Cons

work life balance 7 days a week 55 hours a week
Out of pocket cost for benefits
lack of local opportunity
beaucratic

Managers do not have to work 55 hours to be sucessful
Develop a program to allow managers to have sick and personal time

6029 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Excellent job, good training if your logically adept and not spacially challenged.

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Best paying non management job in home depot.

Cons

working on holidays, we always thought if someone has to buy something on thanksgiving, fine, but lets close by 3, nope we were open to 9 pm, forget the family.

Management has forgotten how home depot started, by three brothers, family. Even our customers noticed a drop in customer service from employees after the company went corporate. When I started everyone loved helping customers, but now the focus is on everything but the customer. so when a customer ask a question there just interrupting our focus from what management wants. We hate but thats how it is.

worse work invironment out there!!!!!

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Reno, NV

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Decent full-time position if you get lucky to get one, good benefits as long as you want to pay a buttload.

Cons

If you started working at Home Depot about 4-5 yrs ago you might get a decent pay, but never receive more than .30 raise every year, whether you gave them a 110% or slacked off all year, its the same. and yeah moving up doesn't get you a raise.
    Working in sales only gives enough pull NOT to have to get a forklift license, the stress of the position makes up for it. If your not being hounded for your measures to be more or your sales to better then the day before. Your cleaning up other associates orders or doing the expeditors job, because there to lazy to do anything but gripe about their job being to strenuous.
    Other associates can't get the hint that your personal life is none of their business and they consider it rude if you don't get that involved with theirs. "Brown nosers" get the best schedules and gets all the credit for your hard work and gets the stupid "Homer Award" which is another way for the company to NOT give you a well deserved raise. Instead they will give you a measley $50 "bonus" every quarter to make up for the .25 raise they gave you back at that 1 year anniversary. Do the math if I got a deserving raise, lets say fifty cents or a dollar. After a year of getting paid that raise, its well over $50.00. But they say I should be greatful for what I get, to a point I am; but thats not how your going to keep your smart hard working employees, in the long run it doesn't pay for the bills.
    The scheduling, don't get me started, yes stores are different when it comes to the scheduler; but guess what, all of them have a favorites list and if your not on it your getting the evening shifts one day and the morning shift the next day and forget about them giving you a break if they want you to come to the mandatory meeting to rack dive from 8pm-10pm; oh expect to have to come back to work at 5am the next day. If you request a day off or you tell them your unavailable on specific days of the week, they will threaten you with "well if your schedule is not fully available maybe we should put you to part-time or find someone else".
    Managers are on a power trip with no managerial experience. There simply puppets being told how to turn their head and caugh, they only look at the numbers and never the quality assurance, and the last thing they ask for is the associates opinion. Its a dictatorship

Go to Business School, moving up doesn't mean your a good business manager it just means you kissed the right butt. And don't tell your associates that they shouldn't go to school because you made it without it. idiot!!!

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot