The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
  www.homedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Great Customers, Great Department Managers, Mixed Reviews on Salaried Management

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Issaquah, WA
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Issaquah, WA

I worked at The Home Depot part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Came to the store with significant experience in lumber and building materials so the training was largely redundant for me however I can see how it could get a relative novice up to speed quickly.

Co-workers, for the most part were great to work with and the dept. manager did a super job.

Customers were sometimes a challenge but it was rewarding to help them solve problems particularly when you were able to prevent a potential disaster.

Cons

Scheduling is horrid. One day you find yourself alone covering both lumber and building materials and the next there will be five people just standing around.

Getting a requested day off is hit or miss and there is absolutely no consistency in the schedule and what appears to be, almost intentional, inequity in who covers what shift.

This particular store requires availability for all weekend hours which is why I ended up leaving since that wouldn't accomodate another, significantly better paying, job. This was after a conversation with the store manager indicating a desire to continue working 15 - 20 hours a week.

This seemed to be very short sighted on the part of the store manager.

Very little opportunity for full time hours if you want them as they are trying to minimize the expense of benefits.

Do something with your scheduling system. It's broken! This is not rocket science and with a little effort you would have happier employees and happier customers.

Store manager is totally disengaged and over a period of just over 3 months I saw him in my department maybe once.

Surprise visits to the stores and confidential meetings with some of the associates.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for taking the time to share a review. Our associates and managers alike are essential parts of The Home Depot’s network. We appreciate your feedback and will share this information with ... More

5494 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

The good employees aren't valued as we make too much....

Current Employee - Head Cashier in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Head Cashier in Newark, NJ

I have been working at The Home Depot full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

You learn valuable home repair advice from your fellow employees and customers. Get to learn about new products from vendors

Cons

Your schedule rules your life. Especially in summer during peak times, then in winter no hours to be found

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for your review. “Taking Care of Our People” is one of our core values. We try our best to accommodate our associates’ needs.

Disconnect between compensation and knowledge

Current Employee - Plumbing Associate in Florence, KY
    Current Employee - Plumbing Associate in Florence, KY

I have been working at The Home Depot part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work environment. Mostly good coworkers. Most customers respond well. Ok pay if you don't have any skills or knowledge ($9/hr). Part time hours are pretty flexible. You can normally get off days you need if you request 3 weeks out. I would recommend this employer to a friend who's just starting out and needs a basic job.

Cons

Horrible pay for your knowledge though. I've been a plumber for 8 years and wanted to get a little extra on nights and weekends. An experienced plumber or electrician will make the same as a kid who has no idea what he's doing and is just there to fill a position. I've been there 2 years and only gotten a 25 cent raise. Most customers need real plumbing knowledge. They don't need just product knowledge they need to know how things are installed or what they can and cannot do. They don't offer a position to promote to based on knowledge either. Lowes offers a "pro" position which is exactly that. Someone with that knowledge that answer those questions and be compensated for it. Home Depot should adopt that idea

Don't make unrealistic work lists. A guy alone in a department for 4 hours can't deal with customers and down stock 5 bays.

Sep 16, 2014Client Partner

Thank you for sharing your review. Our associates are key to our success. We strive to create an environment where all associates feel they are respected, their contributions are valued and they have ... More

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot