The Home Depot

Conditions Vary Store-to-Store

Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Specialty Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Nice co-workers. Many are underemployed --bright and committed to customers in spite of poor working conditions at our particular store. (Other stores have better conditions and employee morale.)

Cons

-It is extremely hard to provide good results for our customers. The computer system is so complicated that completing a special order can take as long as two hours!
-Our particular store is consistently staffed with a minimum number of employees (often only 1 employee per department) making it extremely difficult to adequately serve customers.
-The human resources department was recently moved entirely to corporate offices in Atlanta. This makes it difficult to get any concerns addressed including insurance questions or grievances.
-As a full time employee, you will be required to work all shifts and will work any 8 hour period from 6 a.m. to midnight. You will be asked to work overtime at the last minute but seldom be paid for it --instead you will be required to cut your hours on another day.
-At our store, you will not be allowed to take any vacation days during the month of May. You should also expect to work all holidays except Thanksgiving and Christmas day (the only two days of the year that the store is closed).

Investigate the conditions in stores where employee surveys have highlighted poor working conditions and morale.You may need to do this undercover as most employees are desperate to hold on to their jobs. Also, many; employees believe that the Aware Line is not truly confidential and are unwilling to risk losing their jobs by reporting grievances.

5494 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

It's Ok...

Current Employee - Floor and Wall Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Floor and Wall Associate in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Plenty of interpersonal interaction, management is accessible,

Cons

Very difficult to be recognized unless you brown nose, training is lacking...I was promoted to flooring sales and was put on the floor with zero training, have to play politics to get anywhere.

Even though management is accessible, communication is pretty one-way, It would be helpful if management spent a little bit of time outlining goals and opportunities to associates.

Excellent job, good training if your logically adept and not spacially challenged.

Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Kitchen and Bath Designer in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Best paying non management job in home depot.

Cons

working on holidays, we always thought if someone has to buy something on thanksgiving, fine, but lets close by 3, nope we were open to 9 pm, forget the family.

Management has forgotten how home depot started, by three brothers, family. Even our customers noticed a drop in customer service from employees after the company went corporate. When I started everyone loved helping customers, but now the focus is on everything but the customer. so when a customer ask a question there just interrupting our focus from what management wants. We hate but thats how it is.

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot