There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Great place to start, great place to work

Current Employee - IT Developer in Atlanta, GA
Current Employee - IT Developer in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

The people are amazing. Everybody genuinely loves their jobs and people are very upbeat. Management listens to you and you get recognized for hard work. Throughout the company, the Store Support Center (SSC - Corporate Headquarters) is looked upon as being a great support system for the front-line associates in the stores. It's not a top down hierarchy, but an inverted pyramid company. Everybody shares information with each other and nobody is left out of the loop.

Cons

The pay is competitive, but not stellar. Entry-level positions are pretty good, but should be labeled a bit differently, due to the nature of the positions. It seems like there are too many contractors working at Home Depot. Instead of hiring new grads or experienced people full-time, THD hires a lot of contractors through recruiting firms. Even some of the recruiters are contractors.

Advice to Management

Show people that you care across the board. Make it easier for your employees to innovate and put less restrictions on new ideas. There are a lot of very entrepreneurial people working at THD and the company is missing out on some of their ideas, including recent graduates that come into the job with a completely new perspective.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Best job I've ever had

Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Escondido, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Associate in Escondido, CA

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

I loved the independance that they allowed you, freedom to take customers to other departments and help them with their 'whole project' rather than just handing them off to an associate from that other department.

Cons

Short staffing during peak hours. Very small raises.

Advice to Management

Managers should be required to take classes on personality management.

2. Home Depot is a company that is focused on doing the right thing for its employees and for the community.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

The people here are down to earth and for the most part, everyone is focused on doing what is best for the business and for the community. We do a lot to give back and family is something that our leaders value and that is shared with everyone. I am so excited that we are getting on-site childcare at our Atlanta offices in 2012! It is also an exciting time to be here because we have made great changes and are finding success!

Cons

For me, my ability to grow in my career is somewhat limited. Like any company, the politics get tiresome and seem to stand in the way of doing some great things.

Advice to Management

Promote servant leadership if that is what you truly believe in and can support. The associates at this company respect its leaders and work hard to make it a success.