The Home Depot

www.homedepot.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot

Great employer if retail is your cup of tea.

Former Employee - Store Manager in Evansville, IN
Former Employee - Store Manager in Evansville, IN

I worked at The Home Depot

Pros

Great compensation. Lots of opportunity. Fast paced and fun. People are treated well. I started out making just over $6 an hour and am now close to 6 figures (with bonuses).

Cons

Hope you enjoy working weekends and holidays. Work-life balance is not much of an option. This is not the fault of the management staff, as it is inherent to the retail industry as a whole.

I understand that this is a retail business and not much can be done about the weekends and holidays.

5790 Other Employee Reviews for The Home Depot (View Most Recent)

Not enough sales staff equal not enough sales.

Current Employee - Master Electrical Specialist in Chico, CA
    Current Employee - Master Electrical Specialist in Chico, CA

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

Good people, can be a fun place to work. Good store managers. When a customer gets the kind of help they need or when they learn something about a new product or how they can do something for themselves, it can be very rewarding on a personal level. The better the service, the better the sales, the happier the customer and they will return again and tell a friend.

Cons

No A/C during the summer season. Corporate / Regional management cut employee hours because of slow economy and sales. The customer feed back is there is never enough sales staff to help them and therefore they shop somewhere else. Not enough sales staff equal not enough sales.

Do something about the heat. Do something about the mosquitos.... before we have a case of West Nile virus The customers complain, the employees become irritable and all this equates to lost customers...

Good Job Bad Management

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Hoover, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Hoover, AL

I have been working at The Home Depot

Pros

I enjoy working at The Home Depot because in general most of the customers you encounter are grateful for your assistance in just about every department you can be in. As a specialist the designs that I do are unique enough to be interesting which really helps break up the day in day out of this job.

Cons

The worst thing about The Home Depot is the atmosphere of low morale. In my opinion this stems from the reluctance of most managers to make a solid decision and communicate this to the employees. It seems to me most of the middle management (ASM and SM) are so worried about giving the okay to something that could prove to be "wrong" that they would rather pass the buck. Not being in middle management I am not sure what pressures the upper managers (DM) put them under but it seems to be a great deal more than needs to be put on them.

My greatest suggestion would be to makes sure all the managers are on the same page and accurately communicate this to the employees. The Home Depot offers loads of information through the computer system but no one other than specialist really have time to navigate the system. From time to time I will run in to some SOP policy that management was not even aware of.

There are newer employer reviews for The Home Depot