The Johns Hopkins Hospital

www.hopkinsmedicine.org

Hopkins Ups and Downs

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe reputation of the Johns Hopkins Hospital will make your resume a converstation-starter. If you stick around and adavance within the ranks, most of the hospitals will be glad to talk to you about opportunities with their companies. The benefits at the Hospital are great: 10k for education, up to 17k for buying a house, subsidized vision, dental, and health insurance, and gyms on site. Housing is relatively cheap in Baltimore.

ConsBecause there are no effective controls over doctors who bring most of the money through research, doctors forsake patient care for research. A long running hand hygiene initiative is still far from 100% compliance - doctors do not wash hands before and after seeing patients. The neglect tickles down the ranks, so patient satisfaction suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe finance and the operations work in silos. The finance knows hardly anything about the emerging issues that affect or will affect the financial health of the institution: Core Measures, HCAPS. Few financial folks know what a DRG is.
Except for the CEO, the Senior Operations Management has no ability to look at anything quantitative or technical. Most of their days are busy with trying to look better, not working smarter. Most complain of big workloads but hardly do anything. Some departments take months to produce regular routine reports that are easy to automate.
1. To improve the hospital, physicians have to be brought to account. Cases of HIPPA violation and poor hand hygiene have to be broadcast to ensure that physicians know what their obligations are.
2. Departments run amok purchasing systems without any care for the system integration. To have smooth operations, any system purchasing decision should go through a vetting process that includes a discussion of integration with other systems.
3. Departments create silos and protect their information not to expose their incompetence. All information should be easy to access for people with the right access.

World Class Institution with Great Benefits

LAN Administrator B (Current Employee) Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Pros: Mostly the benefits, like health insurance, paid time off, 403b with matching and pensions after 5 years of service. There are opportunities for advancement, and… Cons: The salary isn't always the most competitive in your field, however you need to take into account the benefits you receive, which are typically far… Advice to Senior Management: I don't have enough experience here to make that call... Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

It was a great experience for my age (I was coming out of high school)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital as an intern

Pros: I really liked my colleagues. They were very helpful, understanding,… Cons: The receptionist seemed to be miserable all the time as… Advice to Senior Management: Don't have anything really. More

There are newer reviews on The Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Worked for The Johns Hopkins Hospital? Contribute to the Community!