The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Hopkins Ups and Downs

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Baltimore, MD
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Pros

The reputation of the Johns Hopkins Hospital will make your resume a converstation-starter. If you stick around and adavance within the ranks, most of the hospitals will be glad to talk to you about opportunities with their companies. The benefits at the Hospital are great: 10k for education, up to 17k for buying a house, subsidized vision, dental, and health insurance, and gyms on site. Housing is relatively cheap in Baltimore.

Cons

Because there are no effective controls over doctors who bring most of the money through research, doctors forsake patient care for research. A long running hand hygiene initiative is still far from 100% compliance - doctors do not wash hands before and after seeing patients. The neglect tickles down the ranks, so patient satisfaction suffers.

The finance and the operations work in silos. The finance knows hardly anything about the emerging issues that affect or will affect the financial health of the institution: Core Measures, HCAPS. Few financial folks know what a DRG is.
Except for the CEO, the Senior Operations Management has no ability to look at anything quantitative or technical. Most of their days are busy with trying to look better, not working smarter. Most complain of big workloads but hardly do anything. Some departments take months to produce regular routine reports that are easy to automate.
1. To improve the hospital, physicians have to be brought to account. Cases of HIPPA violation and poor hand hygiene have to be broadcast to ensure that physicians know what their obligations are.
2. Departments run amok purchasing systems without any care for the system integration. To have smooth operations, any system purchasing decision should go through a vetting process that includes a discussion of integration with other systems.
3. Departments create silos and protect their information not to expose their incompetence. All information should be easy to access for people with the right access.

74 Other Employee Reviews for The Johns Hopkins Hospital (View Most Recent)

World Class Institution with Great Benefits

Current Employee - LAN Administrator B in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - LAN Administrator B in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Pros

Mostly the benefits, like health insurance, paid time off, 403b with matching and pensions after 5 years of service. There are opportunities for advancement, and tuition reimbursement. It is a world class institution that is always doing some amazing research and finding new cures for diseases. There are locations all over the city and county, so you can relocate easily within the institution. It is also a "family company" in that it usually promotes from within rather than recruiting for the outside. I feel like I could start here as a network technician, and eventually work my way up to CIO.

Cons

The salary isn't always the most competitive in your field, however you need to take into account the benefits you receive, which are typically far better than the rest of the industry. It is also so large, that sometime I feel like I just push buttons all day without actually needing to use my brain. A lot of people complete their probationary period here and put their career in "cruise control", meaning they are just collecting a paycheck and waiting for retirement so they can start collecting their pensions. I think all large companies have a negative side, and Hopkins is no different.

I don't have enough experience here to make that call...

It was a great experience for my age (I was coming out of high school)

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital as an intern

Pros

I really liked my colleagues. They were very helpful, understanding, and eager to explain things to me.

Cons

The receptionist seemed to be miserable all the time as she had a bad attitude. But sometimes she was nice.

Don't have anything really.

There are newer employer reviews for The Johns Hopkins Hospital