Great learning experience. Work with some of the brightest and best

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Baltimore, MD
Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Patients receive excellent care from dedicated staff. Learning experiences and listening to patient stories and lives made going to work a lesson in life and understanding.

Cons

Work day sometimes extends from 12 hours to 13+. I never mind doing what my patients need. Can become frustrating when it is due to staff showing up a few minutes late and not getting to work to relieve the previous shift.

Other Reviews for The Johns Hopkins Hospital

Incompetence, amateur management and understaffing

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

While I can think of very little that I would categorize as a "pro", I suppose gaining experience working under very high stress situations in a high volume hospital is one. I also feel like having the Johns Hopkins name on your resume would help in future job searches.

Cons

Where do I start? The entire orientation, they drive into your head that this is the top hospital in the country, possibly the world. I'm not so sure now that I've worked here for five years. I see, in my department, a high level of incompetence which the management refuses to acknowledge and/or do anything about. This hospital as a whole has an enormous turn around rate which means new employees constantly and starting over constantly. Instead of treating their current, seasoned employees better, they seem to prefer hiring people who cannot keep up with the volume. From my experience here, even if you voice your concerns, they don't seem to want to hear you and are afraid to get rid of dead weight. With so much negative retention, the stress of the workload falls on your good workers who tend to burn out at an incredible rate. They pay is mediocre at best and is not worth the insane workload which leads to people deciding to slack off because they don't get paid enough to do all of that work. This, unfortunately, filters down to the patient level. Care is compromised when your skilled workforce is fed up. The benefits were very good, but now they are starting this new requirement. If you want 100% coverage, you have to use a hopkins affiliated physician. If you choose not to, you are responsible for 10% of the medical bill. Problem with this is 1.) If you have a long term primary care physician that you are comfortable with and they are not a hopkins physician, you are going to pay for it. 2.) All of your labs and results are run through the main hospital and accessible to fellow employees, there have been instances of the entire department finding out about a pregnancy or other medical conditions before the employee was comfortable telling anyone. 3.) The Hopkins physicians are not everywhere, so if you happen to live out in the country, the mountains or even into a boardering state, you may not have a hopkins physician anywhere nearby to go to. So now, the pay is getting cut all around the hospital (except for the executives and upper management), they have taken control over your choices in benefits and the area the main campus is in is dangerous and unsafe. Since I've been there (going on 5 years) there have been TWO gunman in the hospital and there are no major steps being taken to make the place any safer.

Please listen to your "worker bees"! We know what is going on in the department while you sit behind your closed doors. If we tell you someone is not working out, please look into it and take action. Negative retention is costing you more in the long run because it drives out your good employees. Please have a solid backbone and protect your employees, fight for us if the powers that be want to cut our pay. We work very hard for the money we get and most of us are living pay check to pay check as it is.

Everything that glitters is not gold:(

Former Employee - Occupational Therapist  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Occupational Therapist in Baltimore, MD

I worked at The Johns Hopkins Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Like any workplace, JHH has good and bad people. Pros for working at this place would be to experience those few good people who strive not only for self upliftment but also for the team as a whole and the profession in total.

Cons

Unfortunately, such good people are very few. The whole mission statement is misprojected. Its never patient centered care, but instead is insurance centered care. Emphasis is more on if you are meeting your efficiency, trying to touch maximum patients in a day even if it means poor quality care. This place focuses more on Quantity of care Vs quality of care. And the worst possible thing you expect at your workplace is the higher authorities displaying these qualitites.

1. Kindly stop beautifying the cover of the book and focus more on improving the content. Management should focus on critically analysisng the quality of emplyoees they are hiring and also those that are already hired and at higher level . Complaints shouldnt fall on deaf ears. 2. Management should focus on making workplace more employee friendly and should stray away from useless politics. 3. Kindly do not use terms like" budget" as a reason for not accomodating for changing employee needs.

There are newer employer reviews for The Johns Hopkins Hospital.

Worked for The Johns Hopkins Hospital? Contribute to the Community!