The sky never stops falling at NC Mentor

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Meaningful work with children and families. Supportive peers. Reimbursement for supervision for provisionally licensed therapists, as well as yearly stipend to use toward continuing education.

Cons

Very fear-based management style (use of threats, punitive action, describing the tenuous state of the company's finances, random lay-offs and forcing people to quit to deny them severance, etc). The agency values profit $$$ and quantity over quality therapy, and will even push therapists to bill more than is medically necessary for their clients, or to bill for things that are completely non-billable. Incredibly stressful work environment and no support for on-the-ground, front-line workers. Many people leaving the agency left with stress-related medical problems. No useful training or support with learning the basic functions of the job; new people often had to "train each other" resulting in much wasted time and energy as well as tons of preventable mistakes. Promised raises for 9 months which never appeared. Every other week we were told of the financial instability of the agency and given a date that numbers had to be up "or else." Unreasonably high expectations for workers that were constantly changing. No consistency. Very "top-down" management approach. No respect for boundaries of employees; nothing is ever enough for those people. Turnover rate that is ridiculous.

Advice to Management

Using fear as a motivator is very effective in the short-term but ultimately deteriorates trust, respect and loyalty of employees. Set realistic expectations for workers and provide training that supports people past the 2 week "orientation." Listen to and respect the limits of employees. Consider the financial impact of a high turn-over rate, the cost of finding and training new people. Invest in employees and try to reverse this. Treat each employee as important and not as replaceable money-making machines.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Absolutely Horrible Leadership from the top down!!

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company mission and people they serve.

Cons

Everything else. I handled Human Resources for two states. After the first 3 months I knew I had to get out of there and immediately started looking for a new job. Made me ashamed to be in Human Resources. The unethical bullying leadership is appalling.

Advice to Management

You need a complete overhaul in leadership. Old school good ole boy leadership that has been around for 40 years is not working anymore. The behind the scenes behavior I witnessed made me ashamed to be a Human Resources professional.

2. Mentor Review

Former Employee - DSP in Mulberry, FL
    Former Employee - DSP in Mulberry, FL

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People, workplace, not hard work, clients, and atmosphere.

Cons

Money, growth in company, and management.

Advice to Management

Need to get new management in the polk county branch.