There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

Lack of support & training for staff.

Former Employee - Team Lead in Asheville, NC
Former Employee - Team Lead in Asheville, NC

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Direct service staff are very caring about consumers. The families worked with are great. The position provides the opportunity to use the skills you have learned while working with children with mental health diagnoses.

Cons

Lots of travel using your own vehicle, for which you are only reimbursed .32 per mile. They frequently "lose" your mileage reimbursement form, so you don't get reimbursed. When your mileage costs come to $400-$500 per month, this hurts! Very little support for staff, even though they frequently ask "How can we best support you?" Staff are blamed if a consumer cancels or no-shows for an appointment. There is a minimum weekly billing quota. If you do not have enough clients, you are expected to make up the minimum billing somehow. Therapists have billed units for taking kids swimming, hiking, or playing music. Overtime has to be pre-approved, and flex-time is required. However, you need to be in meetings 3-4 mornings per week, and are often expected to meet with clients until 8 or 9 pm, so flex-time is impossible. Do not expect this to be authorized as overtime. If you want to use vacation time you need to bill the unit quota anyway. Sick, and using sick time? Prepare to work on the weekend, as you still need to bill. Company motto is "Families First". That's not true, it is "Profit first". Nothing matters but the bottom line. Upper level management is poorly trained for administrative roles, and directives change regularly. The quality of the work you produce is not as important as the quantity. No raises, except for upper management. Salaries are comparitively low, while expectations for production of billable hours are very high. Good to gain some hands-on experience in the mental health field, but that is it.

Your staff cannot work effectively with families when they are not supported by management. You bought Families Together Imc, and adopted their motto of "Families First". Now is the time to put your money where your mouth is, and really adhere to the motto. Support and train your staff, and do not just look at them as a means to increase your own paycheck.

reviews filtered by

Great Experience

Current Employee - Financial Analyst
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Constantly changing and growing environment.

Cons

Understaffed at some levels and poor benefits.

Keep your employees happy - perhaps have an award recognition event for ALL Staff

Best Place I've Ever Worked...except for compensation.

Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Boston, MA corporate office withing the IT Infrastructure group. Loved it! Only reason I left was due to an offer from another company, (they found me, I was not looking), which was simply too good to refuse. The reasons I loved Mentor; 1. My Sr. Director/Boss was awesome. 2. A great CIO who was engaged and cared. 3. I had an exceptional IT Operations team who always made me look good, because THEY were so good! 4. Collaboration with other teams was mostly successful and made for great partners. 5. Flexible work environment. 6. Excellent H.R. team very focused upon the employees. I wish I could've stayed. For these reasons I rate Mentor overall as "Satisfied", but cannot rate as "Very Satisfied" due to the Cons below.

Cons

Unfortunately, compensation and benefits were not competitive. Training budget keeps getting cut. Very small discount on monthly MBTA Charlie Passes.

Your turnover rate is going to increase as other company's compensation and benefits far outpace Mentor's. Please look seriously at this as you have a otherwise great company. Being located in Boston it would be beneficial to offer a better subsidy for public transportation. It cost me almost $4000/yr just to go to work on the train, including parking in an MBTA lot.

There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network