The MENTOR Network

www.thementornetwork.com
  www.thementornetwork.com
There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

DSP at Mentor Network and can't wait to get out!

Current Employee - DSP
Current Employee - DSP

I have been working at The MENTOR Network part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Clients are awesome; I work at a day program so the hours are nice, and weekends off.

Cons

Way WAY too much work for so little pay; Inconsistent and unreliable management; Zero flexibility with hours or option for more hours (my schedule is only 25 hr/week)

Treat your DSPs AND CONSUMERS as if you actually value and appreciate them. WE are the ones doing all the hard work with he consumers! I live in a very very HCOL area and am paid less than your average fast food worker! I'm not expecting loads of money for a job that hired me without even interviewing me and has virtually no requirements. But when you expect me to change adult diapers all day and clean up after consumers and wash dishes, mop, and take out trash...all while watching my consumers...it's a bit much. Consumers are the ones that get shafted by putting so much work onto DSPs, and by having such a high turnaround in employees. I cannot engage my consumers when I'm constantly busy with cleaning or watching other people's consumers because we are severely understaffed and running higher ratios than allowed by licensing. Our program okayed a DSP to transfer to another location without hiring her replacement. Sure, why not, it has zero effect on THEM! Meanwhile it's the DSPs who have to pick up the slack. This is a FOR PROFIT company, so why so little pay? Is upper management is getting equally stiffed? I highly doubt it!

170 Other Employee Reviews for The MENTOR Network (View Most Recent)

The Worst Job I've ever had!

Former Employee - Group Home Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Group Home Manager in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The clients are great. I miss working with them and helping them achieve their goals.

Cons

Where do I begin? They had me doing the job of a social worker (designing comprehensive behavior management, case management plans), a nursing assistant (counting, tracking, reporting, and dispensing medications), accountant (tracking and reporting the funds for each client and the household), EMT (performing medical procedures and first aid that should have been done in a SKILLED nursing facility by persons who are trained and certified), Case Manager (completing complex reports and presenting at various state agencies) and the list goes on and on (babysitter, parent, enabler, maid, psychologist, gardener, etc.) - - all without the TRAINING, LICENSURE, or PAY! I was literally on call 24/7 and would get a 3:00am call to take a client to the hospital (because REM didn't want to pay for an ambulance). I was berated by parents and guardians without provocation and consistently, without ANY support from management. I was sent home in tears on more occasions that I would like to admit, all with the knowledge of management. They did nothing. My first day on the job as a group home manager, my staff called in sick and I had to work almost 24 hours without sleep. I wish that was the only time, but it wasn't. If someone called in sick, it was up to me to cover the shift. I was EXHAUSTED! They finally hired some flex staff, which we thought we would be able to use when we needed them (when someone calls in sick), but were told we could only use them for employees who are scheduled for vacation, in advance. Trust me, we could cover the shift of someone going on vacation (with notice) but really NEEDED some help when staff either called in sick, or just didn't bother to show up. They also had a 24 hour hot line (WHAT A JOKE) that we were supposed to use when there was any overnight issues. It didn't take us long to realize that we wouldn't find any help there, either. When someone would answer, they would simply tell you how to handle the situation (as if we didn't already know that much) and go back to bed. I would have given anything to see them dragged out of bed at 3:00 am to handle a medical emergency, fight, behavior! And on the rare occasions I was home with my family, I would either get called in, or have to deal with my clients or staff calling me every 30 minutes. Management is either clueless (which I don't believe as I was quite frank in telling them the issues) or they just don't care. Their emphasis is on profit. period. They have a clique and anyone who is not part of that clique is an outsider and treated like a dog. I was unfortunate enough to witness a girl with no experience, had never worked in a group home or with clients, get a promotion over several well qualified, experienced managers, simply because she worked in the office with the managers (as a RECEPTIONIST). It was sickening. For the amount of work and unbearable responsibility, the pay was awful. I cant believe this place is still in business. By the way, they make a TON of money off of these poor clients. They should really give some of it to the people who are doing the actual work.

Listen to ALL of your staff, not just your cliques. Spend some REAL time in the homes, with the clients. When doing an investigation, take into consideration the client's abilities (some of them lie on a consistent basis) and don't just take their word for everything. Do a thorough investigation. Treat your employees like you would want to be treated (and how you treat the clients)... with respect. Stop treating direct support staff like warm bodies. They are real people, with feelings and needs, who take care of the people who bring in the money for YOUR paychecks. Do NOT talk about your staff behind their backs. What you do in the office, does get back to us. We are not stupid or oblivious to your behavior. Thoroughly train your staff. Help your managers when they need help. Offer flex personnel for on-call jobs (when someone called in sick), Support your managers and encourage time off. Don't allow clients or staff co contact managers on their days off, and stand up for your staff when parents and other attack them.

OK overall, but not the best "long term" career plan

Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Eureka, CA
    Former Employee - Direct Support Professional in Eureka, CA

I worked at The MENTOR Network full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Managers are concerned about their "consumers" and do their best to make it work.
    - Training provided is great!
    - Good about arranging coverage if you need to take a day off
    - health care plan you can pay into

Cons

- Gradually reduced my hours from full-time to half time once my availability changed and I informed my supervisor I was accepted to a graduate program
    - Low wage with GRADUAL increases

Try to keep current employer happy and loyal.

There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network