There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

Worst organization I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bend, OR
Current Employee - Direct Support Professional in Bend, OR

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work hours is the only pro I can think of. The house I work for really tries to accommodate every person's hours that work best for them, their time off requests, and any adjustments that need to be made.

Cons

Management is terrible. Direct support staff is treated like the bottom of the food chain. You would think the people actually caring for the clients directly would be treated better, it's no wonder the turn over is so high. I have been with this company for over 3 years and am more than burnt out. I can't get management to hire on any more people to assist me and the program coordinator and site administrator says that my tasks are not their job so when I get overwhelmed caring for 5 clients by myself and ask for help, I do not get any help. Apparently, it is company policy that the program coordinator and site administrator do not do direct support tasks in a fear that boundary lines will get blurred and I would expect them to help when it wasn't needed. Sorry, but when the program coordinator is upstairs watching Family Guy episodes on her laptop and I am scrambling around trying to meet the needs of 5 clients I think that help is necessary. In my opinion respect should be a priority and less focus on the possibility of boundaries being blurred. We are overworked and underpaid for sure. My Program Coordinator gets paid more, works a lot less, and has taken more time off work because of her sick dog than I did when my mom died and three months later my sister died.

Advice to Management

Make sure you check in with your program leaders in every facility to make sure they are actually doing their job. I can do the tasks of the Program Coordinator, Site Administrator, and my own direct support tasks more efficiently than my supervisors without wasting the company's time and money. Also, you should treat your direct support staff with more respect, let us have some input....all those hours of sick pay/pto/floater leave/ and vacation that accumulates for our "leaders"....some of that should go to the people who are actually more susceptible to the burn out. Pretty sad when my program leaders are bragging about how much paid leave they get yet direct support staff has to work their butts off to be eligible for up to 2 weeks of pto. This is sickening, I am more than burnt out and now that many of our perks/benefits have been taken away; I can't even find the resources to get help for this burn out. I am seeking other employment and would NEVER work for this organization again. I have never been treated so badly by a company or management as I have with the Mentor Network. Can't even believe this organization is still running with the way they treat their staff.

reviews filtered by

The shared services center in North Andover is one of the most unhappy places to work you could ever find.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in North Andover, MA

I have been working at The MENTOR Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a national human services company that does great work for the community with traumatic brain injuries, or developmental challenges. The actual "mentors" I get to speak with are really wonderful, patient and kind people. They are the motivation for a lot of employees.

Cons

Top-down problems with the management of this company. Horrible executives hiring even worse managers, who are then given the freedom to bring in any number of even worse employees (usually friends or former co-workers). -Appalling disrespectful treatment of A/R and A/P employees by management, causing perfectly rational people to up and quit. -Each employee is made to feel of very little use to the company. If you are not the target today, you'll be made to witness the dysfunction until it is your turn. You could be complimented on Monday, reprimanded on Tuesday, promoted on Wednesday, asked to stay late on Thursday, and then fired on Friday. The very worst HR I have ever seen. There is no estimating how much this company has lost in in employees who could have really taken the company to unheard-of success, but who were fired without reason, or quit because they couldn't take it anymore.

Advice to Management

Fix it now. Release bad executives. If you are a bad manager (you know who you are) then change! Stop treating the center as your clubhouse. Show SSC employees that they are the health of the company, and then take care of them. Stop wasting money on more opulent executive offices, and put it towards the foundation of your bottom line so that the mentors can keep doing great work.

in BHRS, don't work here if you actually expect to get paid on time

Current Contractor - Mobile Therapist
    Current Contractor - Mobile Therapist

I have been working at The MENTOR Network as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

working with the kids can be really great. they'll hire you with little experience and after a few months, you can go on and get a real job.
    supervisor is nice but a little incompetent resulting in not getting paid on time, or being accused of not doing your work because she loses it (how do you lose an email?)

Cons

wow, so much to list.
    -not getting paid to write treatment plans but expected to get them done w/in 48 hrs of ISPT meeting
    -paycheck is unpredictable and ALWAYS short
    -spend more time sorting out why check is short than working (not really but it feels like it!!)
    -no pay to drive to/from clients' houses but that's normal for contract
    -other paperwork added that, yep, you don't get paid to do.
    -lame training for paperwork but attitude if you get anything wrong
    -need to ask for info like MA# etc for clients multiple times, it's usually wrong and then YOU don't get paid b/c the paperwork was wrong
    -no pay to actually do paperwork like progress notes but if they're not good enough, they'll get sent back to you for revision (more of your time unpaid)
    -turnover in management and support staff means no one ever knows what's going on
    -"required" supervision is not flexible, have to pay out of pocket for my own supervision
    -if you're having an issue with a client, don't bother trying to talk to your supervisor, she'll forget or say she's too busy to deal with you.
    -feeling really bad for the clients since continuity of services is not good due to the turn over of MTs, BSCs and TSSs.
    -they say the pay is normal for the area but for an MA level clinician, it's really on the low end.

Advice to Management

don't give your employees an attitude when you are in the wrong.