There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

Good learning, but little progress

Former Employee - Direct Care Staff  in  Worcester, MA
Former Employee - Direct Care Staff in Worcester, MA

I worked at The MENTOR Network

Pros

Supportive, good entry level position, passion for the work

Cons

Disorganized, unfair promotions, lack of accountability for program managers and higher management

Make sure that the heads of offices are doing what they need to do and are held accountable. Be aware of workers that go above and beyond so that they are promoted accordingly.

152 Other Employee Reviews for The MENTOR Network (View Most Recent)

One massive lack of communication. Lack communication on all levels!

Current Employee - Direct Service Staff  in  Owatonna, MN
    Current Employee - Direct Service Staff in Owatonna, MN

I have been working at The MENTOR Network

Pros

--I love working with the variety of clients that are served.
    -Assisting physically disabled adults in thier day to day needs. Assisting Mentally challenged individuals with thier day to day needs and encouraging thier social growth. Making thier lives just a little bit better and easier.
    - Clients that allowed me to see things through thier perspective. That part of the job is extremely rewarding : )
    -Working with a variety of individual on a day to day basis instead of the same 3 or 4 people every day.One day I might have 3 clients and the next day 10.
    --If I can make a client who has had a rough day laugh by the end of my time with them that is a good day.
    -CPR training
    -First Aid training
    -The ability to think on my feet and adapt my approach to the individual client on given day. Approach situations with more then one course of action if need be.

Cons

--Nepotism. Older individuals being passed over or promotion in favor of someone younger but with less experience even though education background is similar.
    --Lack of consistency with scheduling, i.e. under scheduled or double scheduled with another staff for the same individual client.
    -- People put in management positions that lacked leadership ability, organizational skills as well as time managment skills.
     --10-14 hour shifts more then once a week. It makes it extremely difficult to maintain that family relationship and connection.
    --- Poor pay--Not looking at what individuals bring to the table already in relation to payscale when they are hired, i.e. years in this field already with another company, college education/degrees.
    -Being told to keep (the cellphone I pay for) on so they can get a hold of me when I am not working other people being told to take thier work phone on vacation with them.
    -Money being spent out of workers indivual pocket for mileage expenses

Putting the Right people in the Right management job. Communication and organization is absolutely key in the area I work in . Update your scheduling system. There are some amazing employees at Mentor but they are given no incentives to do well, from a monetary incentive standpoint or verbal praise from higher ups. They are often given verbal praise from the co-workers at thier same level but that is simply not enough. The biggest thing that has made me look for another job after two years of service is the management and number of hours worked in a day 9 or 10++. I think 30 or 32 hours should be considered full time for direct care staff because what we do is based on caring. I think you have to care about the clients in order to be effective. I don't think you can be burned out or stressed out and do well at this job.

Worst company I'd ever worked for. Promote uneducated, written up employees so they can pay them as little as possible.

Former Employee - Program Coordinator  in  Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Program Coordinator in Portland, OR

I worked at The MENTOR Network

Pros

Time off for management is good

Cons

Everything else. They are for profit yet pay wages of a non profit

Pay employees what they are worth

There are newer employer reviews for The MENTOR Network

Worked for The MENTOR Network? Contribute to the Community!