The Malvern School

www.malvernschool.com
  www.malvernschool.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Malvern School

high stress and expectations, little compensation

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Newtown Square, PA
Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Newtown Square, PA

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the week between christmas and new years is paid vacation for everyone. the management is hard working and cares about the schools.

Cons

lead teachers are salaried at 25,000 to start and expected to work over 40 hours regularly. the health benefits are very expensive and not very good.

in order to retain great people, provide better compensation.

14 Other Employee Reviews for The Malvern School (View Most Recent)

great for the kids, awful for the employees.

I have been working at The Malvern School

Pros

this really is a great school for the kids. The curriculum is outstanding and the facilities are nice from a kid/parent point of view.

Cons

The company expects way too much from their employees, particularly when you account for how little they pay. Just about every day, after getting home from work and fixing dinner, I end up on the couch doing more work for 1-3 more hours every single night. It never seems to end. Between lesson plans, journaling, art projects, developmental assessments and report cards, you never seem to have any time for yourself, let alone your family. I don't see how anyone with small children could ever do this job and raise their child, particularly if they're single.

Also, the company is not fair and ethical in their payment for employees. I have found numerous discrepancies within my paycheck and its always to their advantage. They routinely "forget" to pay you for the staff meeting or any overtime accrued if you're hourly.

The corporate managers don't seem to care at all about the teachers or assistants. All they care about is telling us what we're doing wrong. The president of the company is very distant and disconnected. They make all these silly rules for us to follow, but never seem to actually consider what will happen when they get implemented. Let's take painting the interior of the building for instance. Why do you choose to paint the inside of all of the buildings in April, which requires us to take down all of our displays (which is no easy task, by the way), only to mandate that we "rearrange" all the displays in August. Why not coordinate this? Another example is getting off on-time. Instead of hiring an afternoon "floater", they simply make you work up to an hour or more beyond your scheduled departure time. Is it really that expensive to hire a college kid for $8/hr and have them work 3-6pm?

Oh, and don't bother trying to call-out sick. You'll most likely either be given the cold shoulder, a guilt trip, or just flat told "NO". It doesn't matter that you've been up all night next to the toilet...you will be putting the school in a tough bind, and, well, you have to put the schools needs before your own. It's total nonsense.

Do you enjoy a lunch break? Well, you won't get a pleasant one at the Malvern School. Assuming you actually get your break, you'll be forced to work on "daily's" or they will hold an impromptu staff meeting. Oh, and all this while you're crammed into a little room that was an after thought by the architects. The room is tiny and inadequate. Oh, and you have to sit on little kid chairs if there are more than 2 teachers on break at the same time.

Have a maintenance issue? Good luck with that. The maintenance staff can take weeks to fix a simple issue, or better yet, just not fix it at all.

Increase the pay or decrease your expectations. Does an 8 month old really need a report card? The president of the company should tour ALL of her schools at least once a year. That's just plain disrespectful. Think about the end user before you implement a new rule or policy. Try it out on your own child first. Treat your employees the way you want to be treated...with respect and admiration.

The Malvern School is the best company to work for in the ECE industry!

Current Employee - Executive Director in Malvern, PA
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Malvern, PA

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

This company is run by passionate, dedicated educators from the very top on down. The school work environment is challenging and always changing and improving based on what's new in the ECE field. Fair pay and a good benefits package, The Malvern School is also dedicated to it's teachers and directors. Most directors started in some other capacity within the company and were promoted from within.

Cons

There are no cons from my perspective

None-these ladies already know what they are doing!

There are newer employer reviews for The Malvern School