The Malvern School

www.malvernschool.com
  www.malvernschool.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Malvern School

No support from directors or corporate.

Current Employee - Assistant Teacher
Current Employee - Assistant Teacher

I have been working at The Malvern School part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The Malvern School provides a great atmosphere and program for children. They have high standards for their teachers, which results in high quality learning.

Cons

I have been with the company for many years now. Compensation is low compared to what is expected from you on a daily basis. I have encountered several instances where management has failed to support me on a professional level. There is no room to grow unless you are a favorite in the building.

Stand up for your employees, and stop taking advantage of them.

14 Other Employee Reviews for The Malvern School (View Most Recent)

Lead Teacher

Current Employee - Head Teacher in Downingtown, PA
    Current Employee - Head Teacher in Downingtown, PA

I have been working at The Malvern School full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The only pro is having off the week between Christmas and New Year's.

Cons

- No reviews/raises
    - Being forced to on your own time to meet unrealistic "best practice" guidelines, journaling, progress reports, decorations, curriculum planning, naeyc profile boxes, etc.
    - No prep time
    - Not being allowed to use store bought decorations
    - Not stocking basic supplies such as toilet paper or children's snacks
    - Never complying with adult to child ratios unless a home office representative was visiting
    - Being berated cursed at and gossiped about by executive staff
    - Not being allowed to schedule dr appts during the day

Get a grip! If you require employees to become indentured servants pay them a decent salary! Try to remember that they have families too, and might like to actually spend time with them.

Overworked, Underpaid

Former Employee - Lead Teacher
    Former Employee - Lead Teacher

I worked at The Malvern School full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You're forced to actually write creative lesson plans and use hands-on activities/games. The executive director & director of education at the location I worked at were good - warm, friendly, supportive.

Cons

Expectations are way too high for the pay. Corporate makes the rules and frequently changes them. The work is too time-consuming for how little prep time you're given. You can't leave your room during prep time, or fully concentrate, because of kids napping/not napping. If you want to be a good teacher, you have to work through your break or do work at home. You don't get any extra prep time to do the ridiculous, repetitive report cards. There's only 1 computer in the school - in the office - very difficult to get time to use it for work purposes & no laptops allowed. Guidelines are too strict for room appearance - why do teachers have to make EVERYTHING by hand? What's wrong with buying some things, like an alphabet? The classrooms are too small & poorly designed. I could probably count on 2 hands the number of times I actually got to leave work on time! Parents are ALWAYS late picking up kids & rarely pay the late fees, & if they do, you rarely get any of the money, even though you're supposed to.

If you're going to require bachelor's degrees & expect teachers to work over 40 hours a week, pay them more! Give them more prep time, & better quality prep time! Loosen up on some of your ridiculous "guidelines."

There are newer employer reviews for The Malvern School