The Meadows Racetrack and Casino

www.meadowsgaming.com
  www.meadowsgaming.com
There are newer employer reviews for The Meadows Racetrack and Casino

Small company with BIG plans! Constantly seeking opportunities to improve both product and team.

Former Employee - Marketing Director  in  Washington, PA
Former Employee - Marketing Director in Washington, PA

I worked at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Owners are very customer and employee focused.
Deliver on promises at any cost.

Cons

Very 'green' talent pool for the industry.
High (60%) Gross Gaming State Tax Rate, making revenue goals and expansion projects a challenge.

5 Other Employee Reviews for The Meadows Racetrack and Casino (View Most Recent)

RUN! Save yourself!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, PA

I worked at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino full-time for more than a year

Pros

I really like the GM.

Cons

There are a lot of people there with big-shot attitudes, just because they work for a casino. There are some departments that are VERY respectful and wonderful (Racing Security is a great department), and other departments that need all the help they can get (Human Resources, as I've seen someone mention here before).

Here is the issue: the departments of employees that work on the floor have a rotating staff to cover night shift, swing shift, day shift, etc. So, the table games dealers, etc, don't always have to work long hours, because there is always a rotating staff to cover the next shift. BUT, if you work in the administrative end of things, the behind-the-scenes offices, there ISN'T a rotating staff. What does that mean? That means if there is an event, an employee picnic, etc, YOU are expected to work 12-14 hour days. Forget your personal life... Also, it doesn't really matter what department you are in. If it wasn't your department to put the event together, you still will be expected to be there to help.

The department I worked in, which I won't mention, was boarder line abusive. I honestly don't know how half of what went on in there was even legal. I think that they are a lawsuit waiting to happen.... for example, my director played favorites (which is by definition a form of harassment). If you aren't on her favorite list, then you aren't going to get anywhere. If you weren't a favorite, she was abusive, rude, and completely unprofessional, no matter how hard you worked. In order to be on her "favorite" list you have to adopt a really crumby attitude and stop acting like a professional. Needless to say, after time I realized that this was not going to be a place that I would fit in, and I was actually HAPPY to say I didn't fit in with them. They were definitely the strangest and most unprofessional group I have ever worked with. The amount of work that was expected of me for how much I was getting paid was laughable. In time, it wore on me and I left. I am so happy that I did, because now I'm in a job that not only has wonderful, respectful people, but also pays better, respects your personal time, and seems to be a company that is a million times more successful all around.

In the department I was in, you could work yourself to death and never get a raise or a promotion. I can't tell you how many times I heard the "favorite" of the department got promoted, or raises. I worked the equivalent of several employee's jobs, and I was a very hard worker, but it was never noticed.

My department was very juvenile. The one girl, who was the director's "favorite", would always have really nasty things to say about other people who works for the casino...and these are NICE people she would talk about. There just wasn't any logic in that department....they were very backwards in everything. They were a harassment lawsuit WAITING to happen. Personally, I don't want to work in a place that has those standards.

I hope that people will read this and consider another place to work... or, I hope at least people will read this and be careful of what department they are getting hired into.

I think it would be good to go through some re-structuring of management. Really look into the departments that are having issues, or high turnover...THERE IS A REASON! I would re-evaluate anyone who is a manager/director, and see if they are fit to be a manager/director. The new company I am at would NEVER in a million years employ the person who was my director to even be a secretary. She doesn't have the right attitude to even be in a place of work. That's got to say something!!

I do like the GM, so I hope that they can pull it together. But, if I was in charge, there would have been particular departments that would have been re-structured right away to fix the problems. I know it will never happen, but I wish it would for the company's sake.

Worst place I've ever worked

I worked at The Meadows Racetrack and Casino part-time

Pros

Hard to come up with pros... the pay isn't too bad and the parent company/GM seem to really care about the employees.

Cons

Work crazy hours, even if you have a typical 9-5...some days you will come in and find out you are working a 12 hour day. The company has no concern for your work/life balance. The benefits are despicable, not to mention there is no such thing as a sick day...you literally can't call off sick. Have a problem with it? Too bad, because the human resources department is the least helpful group of people ever- maybe 1 person in the whole department is even remotely friendly... everyone else is a total crab. Anyone who is nice and has potential ends up leaving the company.

You can work very hard but you have no opportunity for internal growth- not to mention lay offs. The company does not hear their employees out about anything. Another issue is that since the casino is run by the state, there are constant trainings that have to be kept up to date or you will be taken off the schedule. Too many things to worry about just to get treated poorly. Definitely the worst company I have ever worked for in my entire life. Kmart is better. Yes. It's that bad.

Terrible human resources department....hire someone who knows how to smile.

There are newer employer reviews for The Meadows Racetrack and Casino

Worked for The Meadows Racetrack and Casino? Contribute to the Community!