The Met

www.metmuseum.org
  www.metmuseum.org
There are newer employer reviews for The Met

He's been there for many years and I think he has done a great job.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at The Met

Pros

I think the opportunity to work in one of the world's greatest art museums is the best reason to work there. Working there usually gets you free admission to almost all museums in New York. Employees not working on Monday get to visit on Monday when the museum is closed to the general public. Employees also get to see previews of new exhbibitions before they open to the general public. The Met Store grants a very generous discount to employees, especially during staff sales. They offer part-timers the opportunity to buy into their health insurance plan should they need it. They have very nice career-related skills workshops. Finally, they have a decent and inexpensive cafeteria.

Cons

Like almost all non-profit art institutions, the pay for most positions is far behind what those same positions average at for-profit companies. In my area, I think there could be better communication between associates and those working in upper management.

Provide more opportunities for communication between departments even if they have no relation to each other.

7 Other Employee Reviews for The Met (View Most Recent)

The Met as a whole is good at prioritizing issues between the security department and the various art departments.

Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Security Officer in New York, NY

I worked at The Met full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I learned so much about art history working in security here! Another pro is that you can get out of it what you want- most of my co-workers in security could balance their lives as working artists and musicians while working here part time. Also- the benefits are excellent, and salary raises do happen every two years. Lots of overtime available. And, it's pretty darn easy to tell people to not touch paintings, and stand around.

Cons

It has a horrible salary to start, if you're in security. Not enough to live in NYC or the surrounding boroughs unless you want to live in an attic in a weird part of town. Your supervisors (if in security) are not very supportive when you actually do your job. You can't take things personally, because really, it is just handling conflicts and passing it to someone higher up. Also, you can ruin your feet working this job, for real. I had pinched nerves in the balls of my feet almost immediately. Use the free podiatry.

I believe that in the security department you could hire supervisors that are decent people.

Work with the best . . . but not for the most pay

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at The Met as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Highly professional colleagues, high standards for all products, nice perks like staff cafeteria and access to all of the exhibits.

Cons

Very hierarchical and male-dominated; lots of egotistical specialists to cope with, low pay, and lots of over-eager interns willing to work for nothing.

Bring some of your freelancers in house: quality of output suffers when staff is over-taxed; promote more frequently; reward good work with raises or other incentives, and put more women in positions of power.

There are newer employer reviews for The Met