There are newer employer reviews for The Nerdery

Great place to learn, great people, awesome culture

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Bloomington, MN
Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery

Pros

Great culture, hard working co-workers, general awesomeness, fast paced environment, great projects. There is a ton of opportunity to grow professionally and learning starts day one. Most of the employees genuinely love The Nerdery and it shows in the cooperative spirit of the team.

Cons

The pace at which The Nerdery grows can be considered a con. It takes hard work and rigor to keep up with the growing demand for custom software. Hundreds of projects and clients can feel unmanageable at times.

Continue being awesome. You have created something extraordinary and it is clear that you really care about the employees. As long as you believe that The Nerdery can be the best place on earth for nerds to work it can be a reality.

67 Other Employee Reviews for The Nerdery (View Most Recent)

Its a fun run in the sun

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery

Pros

There are lots of awesome perks:
    - Company provided food
    - Company sponsored events
    - Company sponsored growth opportunities
    - A crazy list of opportunities to mix'n'match your retirement goals
    - You're not tied to your desk all day
    - You can choose the working environment you need:
      - Sit / Stand at your desk
      - Work from Home if you need to
      - Define your own Core hours
      - Work in a cubicle if you wish
      - Work in a Nerdy cave if you wish

There are tons of collaborative tools:
    - A centralized resourcing and project monitoring toolkit
    - Places to gripe/praise your fellow nerd
    - Places to discuss ways to improve the company or your experience here
    - People to HELP you get back on track, or stay on track to meet YOUR goals of personal growth

The company is expanding, and exceptionally fast.

Cons

I know our Tech Ops are slammed with projects most of the time, but sometimes our internal computing resources are inaccessible or just plain slow. Invest, invest invest!

I don't know how our resourcing manager does as much as he does on his own.

Its easy to under-sell yourself. Its also easy to occasionally wind up on a project where the wrong skills are allocated to meet a certain set of criteria, so the project shifts and remolds multiple times.

Do what you say you will. Sometimes there are instances where approved overtime doesn't pay-out as promised, which is very disconcerting, especially if you've put well over the the required weekly time in.

Offer MASSIVELY MORE ways to categorize one's skills (I can't say more without divulging too much about the company). Its a bit frustrating to wind up on a project that needs certain skills that are too generally categorized.

Thoughtful, evolving business. Best of breed

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at The Nerdery

Pros

The Nerdery's greatest asset is it's thoughtful, adaptive process for handling projects. Our project management process is constantly evaluated, thoroughly tested and improved. The Nerdery can handle your biggest project and your small-to-mid sized ones as a result.

Developers are treated extremely well, and are given every opportunity to grow. We have Developer Advocates that are driven to make the lives of other developers better. We train developers not only on technical skills, but project management and interpersonal skills as well.

Great place to work for seasoned developers. I wish I had found out about this place years ago.

Cons

We are growing so fast that it has caused some issues. Sometimes teams are reorganized due to the acquisition of new talent or the loss of existing talent. Such frequent change has become a source of frustration.

The Nerdery is a very rare beast. I have never seen a company like this one. Please do not change the ethics of the company. Please do not sell the company. No one else will understand our culture or our ethics.

We should consider alternative options for growth such as the acquisition of other companies. Such an acquisition should only be done if the culture fits.

There are newer employer reviews for The Nerdery