The News & Observer

www.newsobserver.com

Generally positive until the economic downturn

Assistant Sports Editor (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsIf you are interested in producing good journalism, The N&O is pretty solid for a newspaper of its size. Most of the people who work there are smart and committed to the profession.

If you prove you can handle your job, they generally don't meddle.

Once they decide to cut an employee loose, the severance package is fair. They even let employees who have been axed work two more weeks.

ConsJob security. Like most newspapers, The N&O is struggling to remain viable but the decisions to lay off or gut most of its personnel have seriously damaged the product. I accepted a buyout, but I would have been let go six months later anyway.

While management has made drastic cuts in the newsroom, all of the top managers remain employed. Some have been reduced to part-time status, only to regain their full-time employment to replace folks who have been laid off. That affects morale in a profound way. The very people who are charged with figuring out how to keep the newspaper going are failing, yet their jobs are apparently secure.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart charging for online content. Newspapers cannot continue giving away their product free of charge.

so-so

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer

Pros: good people,good benefits, slow advancement Cons: upper management,hours, weather, declining industry Advice to Senior Management: need to listen to customers More

overworked

District Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

I worked at The News & Observer full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: great co-workers and supervisor at one DC Cons: No set policies, constant turnover of carriers, some co-workers very… Advice to Senior Management: Stop holding the presses so late that carriers can't make… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on The News & Observer.

Worked for The News & Observer? Contribute to the Community!