There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Wonderful atmosphere

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at The Nielsen Company

Pros

Many growth opportunities, diverse learning, merit-based rewards

Cons

Not as fast-moving as some smaller companies

1183 Other Employee Reviews for The Nielsen Company (View Most Recent)

Stagnant and Miserly - Do not join this company

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at The Nielsen Company

Pros

Working Remotely - once you know how to function there, they can't train someone fast enough, so you leverage your position to work remotely
    Downtown location - had a great view from my desk

Cons

-Stifling, slow culture - no matter what you think you do best or worst, no matter what you know you would be good at, you will be doing exactly what you are doing, and cannot change that.
    -Intellectual development is not valued - career training is limited and specific to the industry. The caliber of the average employee noticeably decreased while I was there
    -Cost cutting - my apartment doorman gets a higher bonus than I do, paid half of what my friends make
    -Powerless management - everyone knows that employees are treated unfairly, no one can do anything about it because politics are very important

Vicki - do you remember as an analyst learning that you cannot always trust the data? NA BASES performance numbers might look good, but that is just because anyone who leaves can get a lower score, leaving the higher scores for people there. You already know what this makes - a brain drain. Since I was there, everyone who I respected in the office left, and I had no choice unfortunately but to do the same.

Getting Worse Every Single Day

Current Employee - Director  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company

Pros

The people are generally nice and collaborative. The location downtown is convenient for most people. It's close to mass transit for both city dwellers and suburbanites.

Cons

The rewards and recognition system at Nielsen is completely broken. Bonus payouts are purposely made a mystery and the company provides "fuzzy" explanations if you ask for clarity on how they are calculated. Merit increases are extremely low and most people get them on an 18-24 month cycle. The key to success at Nielsen is to come into work and smile every day. It's a completely conflict avoiding culture, meaning that people that have learned how to smile no matter how bad things are get rewarded. Never make waves!

Do something to fix the rewards and recognition system. Compensation needs a complete overhaul and the idea of identifying 20% of your workforce as substandard performers is an outdated/unproven model (GE abandoned it years ago).

There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Worked for The Nielsen Company? Contribute to the Community!