There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

3 people found this helpful  

Has gone down hill... getting worse

  • Comp & Benefits
  • Work/Life Balance
  • Senior Management
  • Culture & Values
  • Career Opportunities
Current Employee - IT Manager in Oldsmar, FL
Current Employee - IT Manager in Oldsmar, FL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Talented employees are willing to go the extra mile, but are spread so thin that it's hard to get their undivided attention.

The pay and benefits are pretty good.

Working from home is allowed and provides flexibility that is helpful in work/life balance.

Good training offered... helps for your next job which you'll likely want to find after being here for not too long.

Cons

Many!

Forced ranking of employees - This was recently called out in a Vanity Fair article as being the downfall of Microsoft and I'm witnessing it first hand. If you have a group of 10 then 2 will get good performance reviews 7 will get mediocre reviews and 1 will get a negative review and likely be a candidate for replacement. This is required every year so new hires beware.

Nielsen requires long hours. The problem is that fewer and fewer people really know the business and systems and they are forced to use relatively unskilled offshore labor to complete large, complex projects. The outcome is typically late deliveries and numerous quality issues. Work/life balance is difficult even if able to work from home.

Everything at Nielsen is a process and as such the organization is paralyzed. There is a process for going to the restroom and it, along with every other process, changes somewhat regularly.

Leadership is demeaning to employees. Frequent use of F-bombs to get attention (I guess) or to copy behavior for other senior leaders. Pretty pathetic actually.

Lot's of non value added work to make others look good. It is the epitome of a "it's who you know" culture. Lot's of discussion about getting exposure to senior leaders versus how to become a better manager, developer, etc.

Advice to ManagementAdvice

Remove stacked ranking, use more capable offshore contracting talent.

Doesn't Recommend
Negative Outlook
Disapproves of CEO

1230 Other Employee Reviews for The Nielsen Company (View Most Recent)

Sort: Rating Date
  1.  

    Good People but no room for advancement

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    Current Employee - Panel Relations Specialist in Oldsmar, FL
    Current Employee - Panel Relations Specialist in Oldsmar, FL

    I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

    Pros

    People are great to work with

    Cons

    No room for advancement, have to know people to get jobs

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    NA

    Doesn't Recommend
    Negative Outlook
    No opinion of CEO
  2. 2 people found this helpful  

    Great place to start your career, could be a great place for you to stay.

    • Comp & Benefits
    • Work/Life Balance
    • Senior Management
    • Culture & Values
    • Career Opportunities
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

    I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

    Pros

    Easy-going atmosphere 30% of the time. The other 70% does require hard work. If you don't want to work, you should find a way to retire early. It's a part of life. The job is interesting though the clients can be challenging. It is intellectually stimulating in that it causes you to think.

    Cons

    There are times when work/life balance are pretty bad. Major projects have timelines are oftentimes end-loaded. There is a lot of work to do, but not all the time. There is some discontent among younger analysts that upper management is cold and heartless; I have yet to witness this myself.

    Advice to ManagementAdvice

    Show you care for your workforce more often. Consider increasing salaries -- though this is not a proper way to motivate hard work, it is a way to retain top talent.

    Recommends
    Neutral Outlook
    No opinion of CEO
There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Work at The Nielsen Company? Share Your Experiences

The Nielsen Company

 
Click to Rate
or

Your response will be removed from the review – this cannot be undone.