There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company

Challenging career opportunities

Current Employee - Systems and Operations in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Systems and Operations in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are left to solve problems and design solutions for clients.
Senior leadership has a good understanding of the industry and communicates the strategy to meet objectives.
Senior leadership has a wonderful philosophy on supporting the remote work force so the only people who understand their jobs and work independently can work from home. The people who show up at the office are typically those who don't have much real work, so going to the office in and of itself becomes the 'job'.

Cons

Nielsen is a process heavy company where often content is the problem. It is not realistic to think you can achieve a solution through project management when the people on the project do not understand the problem.
We have some fundamental problems in our core factory that need to be addressed to achieve long term objectives. At some point, we need to make the investment and fix the problems. When we do, we will be far more capable of meeting our client objectives and drive significant long term profitability.

Senior leadership has fallen into the trap of 'outsourcing' as a solution in and of itself. The problem is that you can't expect an outside organization to solve problems senior leadership does not fully understand.
See the point above under cons. Make the investment to fix problems in our core data factory and reap long term gains.
In the question below on Dave Calhoun, I'll vote thumbs down because he runs the company for short term profitability. He also relies a lot on Mitchell Habib for advice. See my point above under cons. Mitchell wants to throw millions of dollars at outside consulting companies to solve problems they do not comprehend. Cut the spending to consultants and let the employess who understand the problem work out the solution.

1229 Other Employee Reviews for The Nielsen Company (View Most Recent)

Ugly

Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Project Manager in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great employees. Hard working employees keep the company going dispite poor management.

Cons

Poor Senior Management. COO airplane landed in India and he acted like an ugly American when a car was not on the tarmack to drive him to his hotel. Felt it was beneath him to have to go through security.

Instead of brining in outsiders who know nothing about the company use people who have stood the test of time. People from GE and CITI Bank who only know how to save money but don't know how to make money are not the solution to your problems.

Innovation is hard

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at The Nielsen Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Foolproof business model
    Dedicated, experienced staff
    Great brand name -- definitive data and research, and a career boost

Cons

NIH Syndrome -- Not Invented Here --> Not Interested
    A lot of conservatism and resistance to change and innovation
    Really not very innovative in analytics at all
    Resistance to investing in additional training or participation in professional activities (like conferences)

The decentralized model of research centers and virtual company doesn't work very well. Oh, it might reduce costs, but when people never are physically in the same location, it doesn't foster the trust necessary for collaboration.

Everything is by remote connection, and often very inefficient. I never met an actual HR person, not even on my first day. There is a resulting lack of social cohesion in the working environment.

The company-sponsored health program, as of 2011, was a nightmare to deal with. It cost many many hours of what should have been productive time fighting with an unnecessarily restrictive and rule-bound program.

Senior management is just, well, inarticulate. They may understand the business of market research, but rarely give the impression of actually understanding the market research itself. Remote video sessions posted to the company intranet do not really substitute for meaningful interaction with living employees.

Get out of HQ and provide some intellectual leadership, not just sales rah-rah.

There are newer employer reviews for The Nielsen Company